Truncated cone on stream of water

In summary, the truncated cone can be held in the air by a stream of water by dropping it and creating a hole in the bottom. Experiment with different size and quantity of holes to see the effect.
Numeriprimi
Hello.
My friend said a truncated cone that is the upside down (the hole is open downwards) may be held in the air by a stream of water... How? It is really true?
Ok, consider a constant mass flow of water. How can I create a formula, which tell how high I have to place the cone? - (I want to try it)

Thank you very much,
sorry for my bad English :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it not be - as long as some of the water pushes on the cone?

Ok. But how? How can I solve by some equation? :)

You have a problem with the idea of levitating on a jet of fluid?
How do hovercraft work? A leaf-blower? It's the opposite of a rocket.
It's normal conservation of momentum and Newton's laws - though fluid flow can get very complicated.You can see the effect by building a shallow cone and dropping it.
Works well with cup-cake cups.

Hold it open-end down and drop it - observe.

Now put a hole in the bottom and try again.

Experiment with different size and quantity of holes.

The main difference between air and water for this experiment is that water does not compress.

Simon Bridge said:
You have a problem with the idea of levitating on a jet of fluid?
How do hovercraft work? A leaf-blower? It's the opposite of a rocket.
It's normal conservation of momentum and Newton's laws - though fluid flow can get very complicated.

You can see the effect by building a shallow cone and dropping it.
Works well with cup-cake cups.

Hold it open-end down and drop it - observe.

Now put a hole in the bottom and try again.

Experiment with different size and quantity of holes.

The main difference between air and water for this experiment is that water does not compress.

Actually, for the purposes of these experiments, both air and water can safely be thought of as incompressible. The compressibility of air doesn't really come into play unless you start looking at pretty high velocities (>mach 0.3) or fairly large pressure differentials.

Actually, for the purposes of these experiments, both air and water can safely be thought of as incompressible. The compressibility of air doesn't really come into play unless you start looking at pretty high velocities (>mach 0.3) or fairly large pressure differentials.
That's a good point - since the cone is being levitated in the flow.
If it were held in place, the compressability would be important.

[edit - thinking over that - I'm not sure I buy it entirely, I seem to be able to get air compression just waving my arms around. Have to think about it. [edit] ... Oh I see what you mean...]

I think the important thing here is to lead OP through the concepts - I hope numeriprimi tries the experiments.

The equations for arbitrary flow and arbitrary cone shapes can get horribly nasty.
I could probably whomp up a back-of-envelope for the specific case of a stationary (levitating) cone and laminar flow just by figuring the change in momentum to get the fluid over the surface.

@Numeriprimi: what do you need the equation for?

That produces the details - for incompressible, laminar flow you can use Bournoulli's equation to work out the pressure difference above and below the cone. With the dimensions of the cone, that translates into a force ... which you set equal to the weight of the cone and it levitates.

For general flows, it gets tricky because of turbulence.

Last edited:
I'm not even entirely sure what the physical situation here is. I assume he means a cone frustum, but Is the stream aligned with the axis of the cone? I am not sure how the hole he references is oriented. What is the meaning of "upside down" in this context? A picture would be nice.

Technically you can balance any shape on a jet of water, if you are careful ... I just figure that it is oriented as a (conical) parachute or why should the hole make a difference.

I'm hesitating about posting a basic equation because this sort of thing is actually very common as an assignment question - I'd like to see OP give it a go first.

@numeriprimi: any of this useful?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool!

Though I'm not sure that OP so much doubts that it can be done as want's to know the math.

1. What is a truncated cone on a stream of water?

A truncated cone on a stream of water is a scientific phenomenon where a stream of water encounters a cone-shaped barrier or obstruction, causing the water to form a truncated cone shape as it flows around the barrier.

2. Why does a truncated cone form on a stream of water?

The formation of a truncated cone on a stream of water is due to the principles of fluid dynamics and Bernoulli's principle. As the water encounters the cone-shaped barrier, it is forced to flow around it and increase in speed, creating a lower pressure area on the outside of the cone. This lower pressure area causes the water to rise and form a cone shape.

3. What factors affect the size and shape of the truncated cone?

The size and shape of the truncated cone on a stream of water can be affected by various factors such as the speed and volume of the water, the shape and size of the cone barrier, and the viscosity of the liquid. Other factors like air resistance and surface tension can also play a role in the formation of the cone.

4. Can a truncated cone form on other liquids besides water?

Yes, a truncated cone can form on other liquids besides water. As long as the liquid is flowing at a certain speed and encounters a cone-shaped barrier, it will form a truncated cone. However, the shape and size of the cone may vary depending on the properties of the liquid.

5. What applications does a truncated cone on a stream of water have?

The formation of a truncated cone on a stream of water has various applications in science and engineering. It can be used to measure the flow rate of liquids, study fluid dynamics, and even in the design of water pumps and turbines. Additionally, the formation of a truncated cone can also be seen in nature, such as in waterfalls or when a river flows around a rock or boulder.