Designing a Hydraulic Cylinder Jack for a Mechanical Car Lifting System

In summary: I am doing BE Mech. Engg. We have already gone through the course in which we learnd and performed different techniques like foundry, machining, forging etc. I have very good idea about the processes. As for design there hasn't been anything at all till now.
Altairs
We are making a Mechanical Car Lifting Jack as part of our Manufacturing Process course. A few questions :-

1. It looked too simple to me, but sometimes it doesn't. Like it has quite a nice assembly. Where do you put it on difficulty scale ?

2. What do you suggest that we do calculations for the forces and material etc because we want it to be able to lift the car?

3. What should be our initial target ? Like design, calculations etc..What should be the precise procedure?

We have only 8-9 weeks for the project.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will first have to decide what method of force multiplication you will be using to apply the desired force to lift the vehicle. Will the jack be hydraulic or gear-driven?

Do some research on what existing designs are out there already. Do you want to replicate an existing one or go off on your own.

What are the requirements/parameters? Such as, maximum lift weight (must it lift the whole car, or just one corner); portability (can one person carry it); manufacturing/retail price target.

Do you have a forming press?

Mech_Engineer said:
You will first have to decide what method of force multiplication you will be using to apply the desired force to lift the vehicle. Will the jack be hydraulic or gear-driven?

Simplest...screw jack...

FredGarvin said:
Do some research on what existing designs are out there already. Do you want to replicate an existing one or go off on your own.

I want to replicate the one I have. Its a screw jack. A very simple one.

pantaz said:
What are the requirements/parameters? Such as, maximum lift weight (must it lift the whole car, or just one corner); portability (can one person carry it); manufacturing/retail price target.

1. One corner will be enough.

2. Very portable.

3. With the design in my mind I don't think it is going to cost much.

What is your background? What type of program are you in? I ask this because you seem to want us to lead you by the nose through this "design." Have you had any exposure to any kind of design methodology class? What, exactly, is the object of this project?

Altairs said:
I want to replicate the one I have. Its a screw jack. A very simple one.

So you're planning on reverse-engineering a jack you already have? I'm not sure a screw jack will be easier to make than simple hydraulic cylinder jack, but whatever floats your boat.

FredGarvin said:
What is your background? What type of program are you in? I ask this because you seem to want us to lead you by the nose through this "design." Have you had any exposure to any kind of design methodology class? What, exactly, is the object of this project?

I am doing BE Mech. Engg. We have already gone through the course in which we learnd and performed different techniques like foundry, machining, forging etc. I have very good idea about the processes. As for design there hasn't been anything at all till now. The object of this project is to make something using the processes we have learned.

Mech_Engineer said:
So you're planning on reverse-engineering a jack you already have? I'm not sure a screw jack will be easier to make than simple hydraulic cylinder jack, but whatever floats your boat.

Not reverse engineering, actually. Its just that I have the final product which I want to make. I am more inclined towards a simple hydraulic cylinder jack but even with excessive googl-ing I haven't come up with any help regarding its design, mechanism etc. I would love to do it.

1. What is a mechanical car lifting jack?

A mechanical car lifting jack is a device used to lift vehicles off the ground for maintenance or repair purposes. It typically consists of a long handle, a lifting arm, and a base that supports the weight of the vehicle.

2. How does a mechanical car lifting jack work?

A mechanical car lifting jack works by using a mechanical advantage to lift heavy loads. The handle is turned which rotates a screw mechanism, pushing the lifting arm upwards. This lifts the vehicle off the ground to the desired height.

3. What are the different types of mechanical car lifting jacks?

There are several types of mechanical car lifting jacks, including scissor jacks, bottle jacks, and floor jacks. Scissor jacks are compact and commonly found in cars, while bottle jacks are larger and used for heavier vehicles. Floor jacks are the most versatile and can lift vehicles to higher heights.

4. How much weight can a mechanical car lifting jack support?

The weight capacity of a mechanical car lifting jack can vary, but most are designed to support at least 2-3 tons of weight. It is important to check the weight capacity of your specific jack before using it to ensure it can safely lift your vehicle.

5. What safety precautions should I take when using a mechanical car lifting jack?

When using a mechanical car lifting jack, it is important to always place it on a flat and stable surface to prevent it from tipping over. You should also use jack stands to support the vehicle once it is lifted, and never get under the vehicle while it is supported by the jack alone. Regular maintenance and inspection of the jack are also important to ensure safe use.