What is the half-life for spontaneous fission of various nuclei?

In summary, the half-life for spontaneous fission of various nuclei is the time it takes for half of the nucleus to decay into smaller fragments without any external stimulus. This process is highly unpredictable and can vary greatly depending on the type of nucleus, ranging from seconds to billions of years. The most stable nuclei, with the longest half-lives, are those of elements with lower atomic numbers, while heavier nuclei tend to have shorter half-lives due to their increased instability. The study of spontaneous fission is crucial in understanding the behavior of radioactive elements and their potential impact on the environment and living organisms.
levi
I have an assignment for which I need the half-life of about 30 nuclei that decay through spontaneous fission. The total half-life is easy to find, but I need the half-life for spontaneous emission only. Does anyone know where I can find this?

thanks,
Levi

Physics news on Phys.org
Spontaneous fission or spontaneous emisson?

Generally decay or emission refers to emission of alpha, beta or gamma radiation. Fission means that the parent nuclei 'split' into two new nuclei in which the mass is much greater than an alpha particle.

In any event, try http://wwwndc.tokai-sc.jaea.go.jp/CN04/index.html - which is a site in Japan, which gives the chart of nuclides. Look at the top right corner.

Otherwise, an alternative is:
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart is at Brookhaven (which also seems to have problems lately).

Another alternative is - http://nucleardata.nuclear.lu.se/nucleardata/toi/perchart.htm - click on the element, then select the isotope.

As far as I know, spontaneous fission is included in the half-life calculations. Sites usually give branching ratios or fractions (%) of decay modes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spontaneous fission is what I meant, but I'm not to familiar with these terms in English...
Anyway, thank you very much for the links, that was just what i needed!

1. What is half-life spontaneous fission?

Half-life spontaneous fission is a type of radioactive decay process in which a heavy nucleus spontaneously splits into two smaller nuclei, releasing energy and particles. It occurs without any external stimulation and is a random process.

2. How is half-life spontaneous fission different from other types of radioactive decay?

Half-life spontaneous fission differs from other types of radioactive decay, such as alpha and beta decay, because it involves the splitting of a heavy nucleus rather than the emission of particles from the nucleus. It also does not require any external particles or energy to trigger the decay process.

3. What is the significance of half-life in spontaneous fission?

Half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the radioactive material to decay. In spontaneous fission, the half-life is used to measure the rate at which the heavy nuclei split into smaller nuclei. This information is important for understanding the stability and properties of radioactive materials.

4. How is half-life spontaneous fission used in nuclear power plants?

In nuclear power plants, half-life spontaneous fission is used to control the rate of nuclear reactions and the amount of energy released. By understanding the half-life of the radioactive material being used as fuel, engineers can design reactors that maintain a stable and safe level of nuclear activity.

5. Can half-life spontaneous fission be predicted or controlled?

No, half-life spontaneous fission is a random process and cannot be predicted or controlled. However, scientists can study and measure the half-life of different radioactive materials, which can help in understanding and predicting their behavior. In nuclear reactors, the rate of spontaneous fission can be controlled through the use of control rods and other safety measures.