High School Science Projects Ideas on a Budget

In summary, the student is trying to find ideas for science projects that are not simple baking soda and vinegar. He is trying to find ideas for a particle accelerator, force field, and a model to present how time is stretched. He is also considering a Van De Graff generator.
MITWannaBe
So I have been spectulating science projects for roughly a year. Doing calculations from how money I will need from materials to specifics.
I have tried to do Particle Accelerators, Force Fields, and a model to present how time is stretched (Einstein ;) )

My question is what other ideas do you guys/girls have that could be interesting and not simple Baking soda + vinegar stuff.

Please take into account that I am a sophmore, and the income I have for materials are fairly low. So propose ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried to do Particle Accelerators, Force Fields, and a model to present how time is stretched (Einstein ;)

wow! please enlighten me on how to make a homemade particle accelerator :P

you could try building a motor from scratch and powering a car made of various materials, that's what I did for a science project, not too interesting I know. you could take it a little further and make a homemade radio or remote control car

Particle Accelerator is quite easy to make from materials from around the house or junkyard. The only obstacle is to find a single proton...hahahaha...

I was thinking more along the lines of physics, theoretical, or particle. I really want 1st place, so I am going with something over the time.

That's why I'm still trying the force field.

MITWannaBe said:
Particle Accelerator is quite easy to make from materials from around the house or junkyard. The only obstacle is to find a single proton...hahahaha...

I was thinking more along the lines of physics, theoretical, or particle. I really want 1st place, so I am going with something over the time.

That's why I'm still trying the force field.

When you say "force field" do you mean that in the Physics sense, or the sci-fi sense? For the accelerator, how do you obtain the magnets and the means to manipulate them from stuff around the house?!

Hmmm, I did use LN2 , an ohmeter, and some copper wire to test conductivity at room temp vs. cool, vs. heated with a flame in grade school. I didn't get much in the way of meaningful results, but it was a hell of a lot of fun, and I did get an A.

You could run a double-slit experiment I suppose...

Shalashaska said:
When you say "force field" do you mean that in the Physics sense, or the sci-fi sense? For the accelerator, how do you obtain the magnets and the means to manipulate them from stuff around the house?!

Hmmm, I did use LN2 , an ohmeter, and some copper wire to test conductivity at room temp vs. cool, vs. heated with a flame in grade school. I didn't get much in the way of meaningful results, but it was a hell of a lot of fun, and I did get an A.

You could run a double-slit experiment I suppose...

A force field in physics-sci-fi sense. It IS possible to make 1, lot of electricity is needed.

For the accelerator, you would have to buy magnet's from ebay or some science supplier, manipulating them is quite easy, run current threw them. Though your house doesn't have enough power, so you would have to use roughly a block worth of power.

MITWannaBe said:
A force field in physics-sci-fi sense. It IS possible to make 1, lot of electricity is needed.

For the accelerator, you would have to buy magnet's from ebay or some science supplier, manipulating them is quite easy, run current threw them. Though your house doesn't have enough power, so you would have to use roughly a block worth of power.

Yes... but you need to position them perfectly, and manipulate that power flow according to some measure of feedback. You'd need insertion methods, and more.

As for the force field, how about building a Van De Graff generator?

Correct, but first you must calculate the basics. Of course you will have to place magnets perfectly IF your building a cyclotron. A syncrotron would be much easier to build, less expensive, and you could be fairly inaccurate with the magnets.

The VDG isn't a force field but rather a electric generator.

make a tesla coil

You could build a http://www.considine.net/dgroski/sscope/"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some budget-friendly materials I can use for a high school science project?

There are many household items that can be used for high school science projects on a budget, such as paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, and food items like vinegar and baking soda. You can also visit your local dollar store or thrift shop for inexpensive materials.

2. How can I come up with a unique science project idea without breaking the bank?

Instead of purchasing pre-made science kits, try brainstorming ideas that use materials you already have at home or can easily obtain for a low cost. You can also look for inspiration from everyday problems or phenomena that you observe in your surroundings.

3. Can I still create a successful science project without expensive equipment?

Absolutely! There are many experiments that can be conducted using basic equipment, such as a ruler, thermometer, or magnifying glass. You can also improvise with household items to create your own equipment, such as using a plastic bottle as a makeshift microscope.

4. Are there any online resources for low-cost science project ideas?

Yes, there are many websites and blogs that offer ideas and instructions for science projects on a budget. You can also check out YouTube channels or Pinterest boards for inspiration. Don't be afraid to get creative and put your own spin on existing project ideas.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my results without expensive tools?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to follow the scientific method and conduct multiple trials of your experiment. You can also compare your results with those of other similar experiments to see if they align. Additionally, using precise measurements and keeping detailed records can help improve accuracy.