Proof of Boundedness for Sets with Measure Zero?

Jordan measure only applies to bounded sets.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Jordan measure and its application to bounded sets. It is stated that if a set has a boundary with measure zero, it may not necessarily be bounded. A closed rectangle B is mentioned as a possible proof for this concept.
ak416
I saw this come up in a proof: Since A is a Jordan measurable set (bd(A) has measure zero), there exists a closed rectangle B s.t A subset of B. So basically theyre saying, if bd(A) has measure zero then A is bounded. Can someone give me a quick proof of that? By the way when i say a set S has measure zero i mean for every e>0 there is a cover {U1,U2,...} of S by rectangles s.t. sum(i=1 to infinity)(volume(Ui)) < e.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan measure only applies to bounded sets.

o ok my bad. But in general, if you have any set with its boundary being of measure zero, it doesn't necessarily mean its bounded right?

You are correct.

1. What is measure zero?

Measure zero refers to a mathematical concept where a set has a measure of zero, or in other words, it has no length, area, or volume.

2. How is measure zero different from measure one?

Measure zero is different from measure one in that measure one refers to sets that have a positive measure, meaning they have a non-zero length, area, or volume.

3. What types of sets have measure zero?

Sets that have measure zero can include individual points, line segments, curves, and surfaces with no thickness.

4. Can a set have both measure zero and measure one?

No, a set can only have one measure. If a set has a positive measure, it cannot also have a measure of zero.

5. How is measure zero used in real-world applications?

Measure zero is used in various areas of mathematics, such as integration theory and probability, and also has applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fractals and geometric shapes.