Statics Truss Problem, Stuck at force in one member. Please help

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a missing member BD in a structure and the attempt at solving it using the method of joints and sections. The suggested solution is to cut a section through BD and sum moments about the left support, using the method of joints to solve for the unknowns in each joint.
Spoolx

Homework Statement

Figured it would be easier if I showed a picture

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/707/problemcz.jpg

Homework Equations

Ʃm=0
Ʃfx=0
Ʃfy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempted solution, I am missing member BD and not sure which way to solve it, I tried sectioning it again and it provides too many unknowns. I tried taking a FBD at joint B and D but again too many unknowns.
Any suggestions on which way to go?
Thanks!
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/12/photo2sw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After solving for reactions and determining angles you should cut a section thru BD and sum moments about the left support. You may have done this but I can't read your calcs from this I phone tiny screen.

If you solve the joints in order ABCDE, then, in each case, there are just two unknowns to solve for. This is the method of joints which is a subset of the method of sections in which no moment equations are used.

1. What is a statics truss problem?

A statics truss problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a truss structure in order to determine the forces in each member of the truss. This is important in order to ensure that the truss can support the intended load without failing.

2. How do you solve a statics truss problem?

To solve a statics truss problem, you must first draw a free body diagram of the entire truss and label all known and unknown forces. Then, using the equations of static equilibrium, you can solve for the unknown forces in each member of the truss.

3. What does it mean if I am stuck at force in one member in a statics truss problem?

If you are stuck at force in one member in a statics truss problem, it means that you have not yet been able to determine the force in that particular member. This could be due to missing information or an error in your calculations.

4. How can I find the force in a stuck member in a statics truss problem?

To find the force in a stuck member in a statics truss problem, you can use the method of joints or the method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into smaller sections and analyzing the forces in each section.

5. What should I do if I am still stuck after trying to solve a statics truss problem?

If you are still stuck after attempting to solve a statics truss problem, you may want to review your calculations, double check your free body diagram, or seek assistance from a professor or tutor. It is important to fully understand the problem and solution in order to ensure accuracy and avoid any potential safety hazards in real-life applications.