Truss Method of Joints: Solving Unequal Member Forces

In summary, the load is known and only 2 reactions are needed to describe all external forces. The method of joints cannot be used because the truss is missing diagonals, resulting in bending and shear stresses. A frame analysis would be more suitable due to the presence of moment carrying joints.
gmreit

Homework Statement

The load is known. Just 2 reactions needed to describe all external forces.

Homework Equations

method of joings

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm working on a pretty simple truss for work and want to check some of the elements for buckling. The strange thing is I am not getting equivalent member forces for each side of the truss. Without any additional diagonal bracing in the middle I thought it will be a pretty straight forward case. Not sure what I am missing because I figured Fmn = Fah and Fbc = Ff but I am not getting that.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 446
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you don't have a truss, because you are missing the diagonals. As a result, you will have bending and shear stresses in the top and bottom chords, so you cannot use the method of joints which pertains to truss members with axial loads only.
Secondly, if you added those diagonals, you could solve for the member forces, but the truss is not symmetrical the way you have drawn it, so you shouldn't expect mirror image forces.

I do see what you are saying. Frame analysis would probably be a better fit I believe since joint A, B,C, D, E, F, G, AND N are pin joints but H thru M are moment carrying joints.

1. How does the truss method of joints work?

The truss method of joints is a technique used to solve for unknown forces in a truss structure. It involves analyzing the forces acting on each joint in the truss and applying the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces.

2. What is the difference between equal and unequal member forces in the truss method of joints?

In the truss method of joints, equal member forces refer to when the forces acting on each member of the truss are the same, while unequal member forces refer to when the forces acting on each member are different. This can affect the calculations and equations used to solve for the unknown forces.

3. How do you determine the unknown forces in the truss method of joints?

To determine the unknown forces in the truss method of joints, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the truss, labeling all the forces acting on each joint. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium to each joint to solve for the unknown forces.

4. What are some common assumptions made in the truss method of joints?

Some common assumptions made in the truss method of joints include assuming the members of the truss are connected by frictionless pins, that the weight of the truss is negligible, and that the truss is in static equilibrium.

5. Can the truss method of joints be used for any type of truss structure?

The truss method of joints can be used for any type of truss structure, as long as the structure is in static equilibrium and the assumptions made in the method are valid. However, for more complex truss structures, other methods such as the method of sections may be more efficient.