Troubleshooting Sugar Silo Bridges: An Apprentice's Project Experience

• Thread starter zakstr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary, the speaker is an apprentice at a food company and is working on a project for college. They have discovered a problem with the sugar silos, where the weight of the sugar causes it to bridge and sit on top of the air from the rotary valve. The speaker plans to find a solution to get the air out without letting the sugar out, but is struggling to find a cost-effective solution. They are seeking advice and clarification on the issue.
zakstr
Hi I'm an apprentice at a food company in my second year.

I have to do a project at college and I've found a problems that we've had for a long time.

The sugar silos bridge.

My understanding of when sugar bridges is that because of the weight of the sugar is constantly pushing downwards (20-30tons) the air from the rotary valve is getting into the bottom of the silo and causing the sugar to sit on top of it.

I may be wrong but this is what happens.

After spending all day today "rodding" it, I thought that this would be a good idea for my project and it would benefit my company aswell.

What I think I need to do is get the air out of where it bridges but at the same time not let the sugar out. I'm struggling to find much about it solution wise which is not really expensive.

If anybody has any experience with anything similar then I would love to hear it and if it is realistically possible so I don't waste a lot of my project time :)

Edit: video of what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am still not sure what you mean by bridging. What does the rotary valve actually do? The video was not all that descriptive.

If by bridging, though, you do mean that as the bottom of the silo is opened up to allow sugar to exit, only a certain amount will do so leaving an air filled void above of which is still sugar. If that is your problem, then it is not the air holding up the sugar, but a material aspect of the sugar granules to stick together to from an arch above the exit at the bottom.

Please verify.

1. What is a sugar silo?

A sugar silo is a large storage container specifically designed for storing and processing sugar. It is typically made of metal or concrete and can hold large quantities of sugar.

2. How does a sugar silo help with bridging?

A sugar silo helps with bridging by keeping the sugar in a consistent flow. Bridging occurs when sugar particles become stuck together, causing blockages in the storage and processing equipment. The design of a sugar silo helps prevent bridging by allowing for controlled and uniform flow of sugar.

3. What are the common problems associated with bridging in sugar silos?

The most common problem associated with bridging in sugar silos is blockages in the equipment, which can lead to production delays and equipment damage. Bridging can also cause inaccurate measurements and inconsistent product quality.

4. How can I prevent bridging in my sugar silo?

To prevent bridging in your sugar silo, it is important to ensure proper maintenance and cleaning of the silo and equipment. Regularly checking and adjusting the temperature and humidity levels can also help prevent bridging. Additionally, using anti-bridging devices, such as vibration or air pads, can help keep the sugar flowing smoothly.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a sugar silo for storing and processing sugar?

Yes, there are alternative methods for storing and processing sugar, such as using bins or hoppers. However, sugar silos are the most commonly used and efficient method for large-scale sugar production. Alternative methods may also be more prone to bridging and other storage and processing issues.