Simple Problem. Finding Forces using free body diagrams.

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a box and wagon on a frictionless surface. The problem asks for the magnitude of frictional force on both the box and wagon, as well as their acceleration. The solution involves using Newton's Second Law and determining the tension in the rope, acceleration of the wagon, and force of static friction. The final solution is a frictional force of 9.375N in the +X direction for both the box and wagon, and an acceleration of 0.3125m/s2 for both.
Ebola_V1rus
Hey all, here is a simple problem provided as a review for our final by my professor. I think I have everything right, but if history offers any insight into the future, I'm dead wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

A 30kg box sits on a 10kg wagon. the wagon is pulled by a rope that is inclined at 30° above horizontal. Friction between the ground and the wagon is negligible, and the tension in the rope is 25N. The ground is level.1. Determine the magnitude of the of the frictional force acting on both the box and wagon.

2. Determine the acceleration of both the box and wagon.I've included a diagram, to make sure everyone is on the same page here.
sampleP1.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Determine the magnitude of the of the frictional force acting on both the box and wagon.

Please check my logic here. We have to find the the acceleration of both the box and the wagon to determine the static friction force required to keep the box in place on top of the wagon. The +X direction is the direction in which the wagon is moving, and the +Z direction is 'UP' in the picture I included.

Since we are assuming the ground is frictionless, the only force acting on the wagon is the force of tension from the rope. So:

FnetX = sin(30°)*25N = 12.5N

We can use this answer to find the acceleration of the wagon in the +X direction.

F = ma
12.5N = 40kg(wagon + box)*a

a = .3125m/s2

Now that we know the acceleration and mass of the block, we can determine the amount of force needed from Static Friction to keep the box in place using Newton's Second Law.

FSF = 30kg * .3125m/s2 = 9.375N

So, the Frictional force acting on the block is 9.375N in the +X direction.
and the frictional force acting on the wagon is 9.375N in the -X direction.2. Determine the acceleration of both the box and wagon.

The acceleration of both the box and the wagon, as found in the previous problem, is
.3125m/s2
-Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks perfect to me! :approve:

Well that's a first. Thanks for looking that over for me Doc Al.

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation that shows all of the forces acting on an object. It includes the magnitude and direction of each force, and can be used to determine the net force on the object.

Why is it important to use free body diagrams?

Using free body diagrams allows us to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine the net force, which is crucial in understanding the motion and behavior of the object. It also helps us identify any missing or unbalanced forces that may be causing a problem.

What are some common forces found in free body diagrams?

Some common forces found in free body diagrams include weight, normal force, tension, friction, and applied force. These forces can be either contact forces or non-contact forces.

How do you find the net force on an object using a free body diagram?

To find the net force on an object, you need to add up all of the individual forces acting on the object. If the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

Can free body diagrams be used for complex problems?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used for complex problems involving multiple objects and forces. They can help us understand the interactions between different objects and determine the overall motion of the system. However, it is important to clearly define the system and include all relevant forces in the diagram.