Why do they bother fortifying cereals with iron?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Raizy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, people who don't drink milk have to be careful about getting too much iron from fortified cereal, as they can still get more from cereal with milk in it. For women, more iron is needed in their daily diet than men do, because men can develop hemochromatosis if they don't get enough iron. Taking a 'mens' multi-vitamin is better than a regular one, as iron is not added to that formulation.
Raizy
Doesn't milk block the absorption of iron? :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
Only a little bit, you still get more iron from the fortified cereal.
Or you could just eat steak for breakfast!

I wish I could eat stake every day... my favorite.

Some of us don't put milk in our cereal, because it makes it soggy. :wink:

My understanding is that the 'iron cycle' in people is incompletely understood, but our daily requirement is very low:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_iron_metabolism

You can 'recover' the iron in fortified cereal really easily (I used Wheaties)- crunch it up really well, add lots of water, and then stir the glop with a magnet. My kids and I did it one morning for fun.

Moonbear said:
Some of us don't put milk in our cereal, because it makes it soggy. :wink:

Okay, I'll bite. What do you put in your cereal? If you eat it dry, what cereals?

Mashed up banana is nice

mgb_phys said:
Mashed up banana is nice

Dry with mashed up banana? You folks are getting a bit weird on me. Still, I have cereal in the pantry, and bananas on the hanger... Dare I?

A small bowl of Musilex cereal with vanilla yogurt and fresh sliced strawberries or blueberries, sprinkled with two tablespoons of whey protein powder topped off with raisons is yummy and healthy.:smile:

berkeman said:
Dry with mashed up banana?
Granola or muesli works - cornflakes don't!

On a serious note, women need more iron in their daily diets than men do. Because of our different physiology, men can in their middle years can develop hemochromatosis-iron overload, since they do not require as much iron. Because iron is added to more than just cereal and protein intake also increases iron; men should pay attention to their intake of iron. Taking a 'mens' multi-vitamin is better than a regular one as iron is not added to that formulation.

1. Why is iron fortified in cereals?

Iron is an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in the body's production of red blood cells and oxygen transport. Many people do not consume enough iron in their diets, so fortifying cereals with iron helps to increase their intake of this important nutrient.

2. How much iron is typically added to fortified cereals?

The amount of iron added to fortified cereals can vary, but it is usually around 18 milligrams per 100 grams of cereal. This is equivalent to about 100% of the recommended daily intake for most adults.

3. Are there any risks associated with consuming fortified cereals with iron?

For most people, consuming iron-fortified cereals does not pose any risks. However, individuals with certain medical conditions, such as hemochromatosis (a disorder that causes the body to absorb too much iron), should consult with their doctor before consuming large amounts of iron-fortified foods.

4. Can iron-fortified cereals help prevent iron deficiency anemia?

Yes, consuming iron-fortified cereals can help prevent iron deficiency anemia, which occurs when the body does not have enough iron to produce red blood cells. Iron-fortified cereals can be a convenient and effective way to increase iron intake and prevent anemia.

5. Are there other food sources of iron besides fortified cereals?

Yes, there are many other food sources of iron, including red meat, poultry, fish, legumes, tofu, leafy greens, and fortified grains. Consuming a varied and balanced diet that includes these foods can help ensure adequate iron intake.