Parallel and perpendicuar axis theorems and other stuff on rotational mechanics

In summary, the parallel and perpendicular axis theorems are used to find the moment of inertia of an object about different axes. The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia about a parallel axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the squared distance between the two axes. The perpendicular axis theorem states that the moment of inertia about an axis is equal to the sum of moments of inertia about two perpendicular axes meeting at the third axis. These theorems may seem abstract, but they have practical applications in finding the center of mass and moment of inertia for various objects.
**spark**
Hi,
I've been doing rotational mechanics at school and at the end of the chapter,the parallel and perpendicular axis theorems appear to have sprung out of nowhere!

The proofs are given in the book but somehow, they don't make any sense.

I can't understand their implications in the real physical world,their origin,their logical meaning.

I mean,there must be something more to these theorems rather than only their mathematical proofs!

Please would someone guide me?

Physics news on Phys.org
No help?? :(

It would help if we knew what theorems you are talking about like maybe momentum etc.
What theorems exactly? Give a solution and the problem can be found :P.

I guess the OP is talking about the theorems that help us to find centers of masses

Sorry,I meant the theorems that help us find the moment of inertia.

The theorem of parallel axes says that the moment of inertia of an object about any axis parallel to an axis through the centre of the object and at a distance d from it is I+M(d squared),where I is the moment of inertia about the axis through the centre and M is the mass of the object.

The theorem of perpendicular axis says that the moment of inertia about an axis is equal to the sum of moments of inertia about any 2 axes mutually perpendicular and meeting at the third axis(aboout which we are calculating the moment of inertia)

Did you have a specific question about these theorems?

Note that the perpendicular axis theorem applies to planar (flat) bodies.

The parallel axis theorem is actually quite simple. If a body of mass M has a moment of inertia I0 about an axis through its center of mass, then its moment of inertia about another parallel axis displaced by a perpendicular distance b, then the additional moment of inertia is Mb2: I' = I0 + Mb2. The additional term may be recognized as the moment of inertia of a point mass M at the end of a massless rod of length b. This would apply, for example, to a pendulum with a finite-size mass at the end of the rod.

1. What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a rule in rotational mechanics that states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis parallel to the body's center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the center of mass plus the product of the mass of the body and the square of the distance between the two axes.

2. How is the Parallel Axis Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the moment of inertia of objects that are not rotating about their center of mass. This is particularly useful in designing machines and structures that require precise calculations of moments of inertia for stability and performance.

3. What is the Perpendicular Axis Theorem?

The Perpendicular Axis Theorem is a rule in rotational mechanics that states that the moment of inertia of a planar object about an axis perpendicular to its plane is equal to the sum of the moments of inertia of the object about two perpendicular axes lying in the plane of the object and intersecting at the point where the perpendicular axis passes through it.

4. Can the Perpendicular Axis Theorem be applied to three-dimensional objects?

No, the Perpendicular Axis Theorem can only be applied to planar objects. For three-dimensional objects, the Parallel Axis Theorem must be used to calculate the moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis.

5. What other concepts in rotational mechanics are related to the Parallel and Perpendicular Axis Theorems?

The Parallel and Perpendicular Axis Theorems are closely related to the concepts of torque, angular momentum, and rotational kinetic energy. These concepts are all essential in understanding the motion and stability of rotating objects.