How Do I Calculate Acceleration with Air Resistance in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration due to air resistance in the x and y directions for a projectile motion program. The given variables include the mass of a baseball, its drag coefficient, initial velocity, and launch angle. The equations used involve the acceleration due to air resistance and gravity. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the force of air resistance and using it to find the acceleration in the x direction, but the attempted equation is incorrect and needs an extra factor with dimensions of 1/length or area/volume. Reference is made to the drag coefficient for further assistance.
hallowon

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the acceleration due to air resistance in x direction and acceleration due to air resistance +gravity in y component.

given variables
m-0.14273(baseball)
Cd=0.4
Vi=20m/s
angle= 45 degrees

Basically, I have to program a projectile motion program accounting air resistance, but my biggest problem physics wise is my huge ax, and y acceleration, which prevent my program to loop even more:/

Homework Equations

ax= fairx/mass = -cdVix^2/mass
ay= fairy+fg

The Attempt at a Solution

fairx= (0.4)(20cos45)^2=80N
ax= 80n/0.14263kg = 560.498844m/s^2
ay = well...its in the thousands >.>

does this mean i have to assume f=Cd*V instead of being proportional to V^2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hallowon! :smile:
hallowon said:
ax= fairx/mass = -cdVix^2/mass

No, that can't be right …

a is L/T2, and the RHS is L2/T2 :confused:

you need an extra factor with dimensions 1/length (or area/volume).

Maybe this will help … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do I Calculate Acceleration with Air Resistance in Projectile Motion?

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force that opposes an object's motion through the air. It is caused by the collision of air particles with the surface of the object.

2. How is air resistance calculated?

Air resistance is calculated using the equation F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * A * Cd, where F is the force of air resistance, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the frontal area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect air resistance?

The factors that affect air resistance include the speed of the object, the density of the air, the shape and size of the object, and the surface properties of the object.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Air resistance can decrease the speed of an object by counteracting the force applied to it, such as gravity. It can also cause the object to change direction or trajectory as it moves through the air.

5. How do scientists use air resistance calculations?

Scientists use air resistance calculations to understand the motion of objects in different environments, such as in air or water. They can also use these calculations to design more efficient vehicles or structures that minimize air resistance and improve performance.