Projectile Motion problem involving air resistance

In summary: No, this is not correct. The force of air resistance is opposite to the velocity vector and its magnitude is proportional to v2. v2 is a scalar, it does not have components.
Adrsya Rupam

Homework Statement

Ok, so I am attempting to solve a projectile motion problem involving air resistance that requires me to find the total x-distance the projectile traverses before landing again.

Given:
[tex]
\\
m=0.7\text{kg}
\\
k=0.01 \frac{\text{kg}}{\text{m}}
\\
\theta=30 \degree
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{air}=kv^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the dynamics of the problem into x-component and y-component equations:
From [tex]F_{x}=-kv_x^2[/tex], I got:
[tex]x\left(t\right)=\frac{m}{k}\ln \left(kv_it-m\sec \theta \right)[/tex]

I divided the y-component of the motion into two parts--going up and going down:
I used [tex]F_{y1}=-mg-kv_y^2[/tex] for the going up part, and I used [tex]F_{y2}=-mg+kv_y^2[/tex]
solving the differential equation for the going up part, I got:
[tex]v_y\left(t\right)=\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}\tan \left(\arctan \left(v_{yi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}\right)-t\sqrt{\frac{g}{m}}\right)[/tex] -- which is where I am stuck on... because when I plugged in my given values, the graph doesn't look right as its t-intercept is greater than one which is found from solving this kinematically without air resistance.
solving the differential equation for [tex]v_y(t)[/tex] of the going down part and integrating it, I got:
[tex]y\left(t\right)=-\frac{m}{k}\ln \left(\cosh \left(t\sqrt{\frac{gk}{m}}\right)\right)+y_i[/tex]

Can someone help me solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Adrsya Rupam said:

Homework Statement

Ok, so I am attempting to solve a projectile motion problem involving air resistance that requires me to find the total x-distance the projectile traverses before landing again.

Given:
[tex]
\\
m=0.7\text{kg}
\\
\\
\theta=30 \degree
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]F_{air}=kv^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the dynamics of the problem into x-component and y-component equations:
From [tex]F_{x}=-kv_x^2[/tex], I got:
[tex]x\left(t\right)=\frac{m}{k}\ln \left(kv_it-m\sec \theta \right)[/tex]

I divided the y-component of the motion into two parts--going up and going down:
I used [tex]F_{y1}=-mg-kv_y^2[/tex] for the going up part, and I used [tex]F_{y2}=-mg+kv_y^2[/tex]solving the differential equation for the going up part, I got:
[tex]v_y\left(t\right)=\sqrt{\frac{mg}{k}}\tan \left(\arctan \left(v_{yi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{mg}}\right)-t\sqrt{\frac{g}{m}}\right)[/tex] -- which is where I am stuck on... because when I plugged in my given values, the graph doesn't look right as its t-intercept is greater than one which is found from solving this kinematically without air resistance.
solving the differential equation for [tex]v_y(t)[/tex] of the going down part and integrating it, I got:
[tex]y\left(t\right)=-\frac{m}{k}\ln \left(\cosh \left(t\sqrt{\frac{gk}{m}}\right)\right)+y_i[/tex]

Can someone help me solve this problem?
No, this is not correct. The force of air resistance is opposite to the velocity vector and its magnitude is proportional to v2. v2 is a scalar, it does not have components.

Adrsya Rupam said:

Homework Statement

Given:
[tex]
\\
m=0.7\text{kg}
\\
\\
\theta=30 \degree
[/tex]

You have not given an initial speed, so your problem is not completely specified.

For any given initial speed you can set up and solve the DEs numerically, and I think that is about the best you can do (in view of the criticism of "ehild" in #2).

Perhaps, though, you can get usable approximations by attempting something like a perturbation theory approach in which you essentially expand in powers of the small parameter ##k##.

ehild said:
No, this is not correct. The force of air resistance is opposite to the velocity vector and its magnitude is proportional to v2. v2 is a scalar, it does not have components.
Ray Vickson said:
You have not given an initial speed, so your problem is not completely specified.

For any given initial speed you can set up and solve the DEs numerically, and I think that is about the best you can do (in view of the criticism of "ehild" in #2).

Perhaps, though, you can get usable approximations by attempting something like a perturbation theory approach in which you essentially expand in powers of the small parameter ##k##.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that-- the initial velocity is 9 m/s

ehild said:
What do you mean? Can't any force in vectorspace be divided into
[PLAIN]https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/18d95a7845e4e16ffb7e18ab37a208d0ab18e0e0, https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/3dc8de3d8ea01304329ef9518fad7a6d196c4c01 components?

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrsya Rupam said:
What do you mean? Can't any force in vectorspace be divided into
[PLAIN]https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/18d95a7845e4e16ffb7e18ab37a208d0ab18e0e0, https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/3dc8de3d8ea01304329ef9518fad7a6d196c4c01 components?

The friction force acts along the negative of the tangent to the trajectory. See, eg.,
http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/objects/877/898586/topics/topic01.pdf
or
http://young.physics.ucsc.edu/115/range.pdf

The case of ##\vec{f}_{\text{friction}} = - k \vec{v}## is tractable, but not your case of ##\vec{f}_{\text{friction}} = - k |v|^2\, \vec{v}/|v| = -k |v| \vec{v}##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Adrsya Rupam
Adrsya Rupam said:
Ahh, I get it... would I need to use numerical approximation methods?

Yes. That is what I said in #3.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity and air resistance.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the motion of an object through the air. This force slows down the object and changes its trajectory, making it follow a curved path rather than a straight line.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile with air resistance?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v^2/g) * sin(2θ), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of launch. This equation takes into account the effects of air resistance on the projectile's trajectory.

How does the mass of a projectile affect its motion with air resistance?

The mass of a projectile does not significantly affect its motion with air resistance. The main factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. However, a larger mass may experience slightly less air resistance, leading to a slightly longer range.

How can air resistance be minimized in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be minimized by making the object more aerodynamic, reducing its surface area and thus reducing the force of air resistance. Additionally, increasing the initial velocity of the object can help overcome the effects of air resistance.