Model Maglev Train starting motor help

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who is planning to build a model maglev train using the Inductrack design. The cart will be initially supported by wheels and rails, but will levitate once it reaches a speed of 1-2 km/hr. The cart will have magnets attached to a wooden plank, while the track will consist of coiled wires. The speaker is seeking help and ideas for creating a motor to get the cart moving at the desired speed. They also mention using a battery to create an electromagnetic field for levitation.
chad_89
OKay i am a high school student making a model maglev train like the Inductrack design.

I haven't started building yet but i know how I am going to make it and since i am using permanent magnets, the cart will not levitate right away. It will have wheels on the sides of the cart on rails to rest on. When the cart starts to move at 1-2km / hr the cart will leviate and won't need the wheels. What i need is ideas and help on making a motor to get that cart moving at 1-2 km / hr. HELP!

the cart will be a wooden plank with magnets in a row length wise on either side of the bottom of the cart forming an "L" sideways with another row as guidelines on the outside (rows are halbach arrays) the track is simple coils of wire (with two rails for the wheels)

as the cart starts to move due to the motor at a certain speed an electromagnetic field from the coiled wire will repel that of the cart, thus levitation. the cart will look like this:

_____wood____
|-...-| <-- magnets track like this:

________
|_______| in middle probably wood or something
^
|
wire
SO I NEED A MOTOR long story short.
please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
really, no one knows? :( just a motor or even something to get it moving.

i forgot to mention that the coiled wire will be attached to a battery source to create the electromagnetic field. like a circuit. does anyone knoe that if i use a strong enough battery will it repel the cart up straight from the get go?

if it does i can build it on an angle so i when i use a switch to complete the circuit of the battery and coiled wire, it repels and thus levitates the cart, and gravity will do the propulsion for me! please help with a motor r can someone let me know if i can create a strong enough electromagnetic field form a strong enough battery to repel the cart right away?

thanks

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a great design in mind for your model maglev train! I can offer some suggestions for your starting motor.

Firstly, have you considered using a simple DC motor with a gear or pulley system to get the cart moving at 1-2 km/hr? This would provide a consistent and controllable speed for the train to start levitating. You could also experiment with different gear ratios to find the most efficient and effective way to get the train moving.

Another option could be to use a linear induction motor, similar to the one used in real-life maglev trains. This would involve placing coils of wire on the track, and using a power source to create a changing magnetic field that would interact with the magnets on the bottom of the cart, propelling it forward. You could also try using a small electromagnet instead of permanent magnets on the cart, which would allow for more control over the levitation and movement.

Lastly, I would recommend doing some research on existing model maglev trains and their motors to get more inspiration and ideas. You may find some helpful tips and tricks from others who have built similar projects.

Good luck with your project!

Related to Model Maglev Train starting motor help

1. What is a Maglev train and how does it work?

A Maglev train, short for magnetic levitation train, is a type of train that uses magnetic forces to levitate and propel itself along its tracks. The train does not make physical contact with the track, which reduces friction and allows it to reach high speeds. The train is propelled using a linear induction motor, which creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnets on the train's undercarriage.

2. What is the starting motor in a Maglev train and what is its function?

The starting motor in a Maglev train is responsible for initiating the movement of the train. It provides the initial thrust that propels the train along the track. The starting motor is typically a linear induction motor, which uses electromagnetic forces to create movement in the train.

3. How is the starting motor controlled in a Maglev train?

The starting motor in a Maglev train is controlled by a computer system that receives signals from sensors along the track. These sensors detect the position and speed of the train and send signals to the computer, which then adjusts the power and frequency of the current in the starting motor to control the train's movement.

4. What are the advantages of using a Maglev train starting motor?

The use of a Maglev train starting motor offers several advantages over traditional train propulsion systems. Firstly, it eliminates the need for physical contact between the train and the track, reducing wear and tear on both. Additionally, it allows for higher speeds and smoother rides, as there is no friction between the train and the track. The starting motor also has a lower maintenance cost and is more energy-efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Maglev train starting motor?

While the use of a Maglev train starting motor has many advantages, there are some limitations to consider. For one, the cost of building a Maglev train system is significantly higher than traditional train systems. Additionally, there are concerns about the safety and reliability of the technology, as any disruption in the magnetic field can cause the train to stop or derail. Furthermore, the technology is still relatively new and not widely implemented, so there may be challenges in terms of maintenance and repair in the future.