Designing a water purification system for developing communities

In summary, TJ00343 is considering designing a water purification system powered by solar energy for their senior project in mechanical engineering. They are unsure how much of their mechanical engineering knowledge can be applied to the project and are concerned about the budget since there is no sponsoring. However, Steve Neill offers to help as his company specializes in building solar powered water purification units for disaster responders.
tj00343
For my senior project for my BS. in mechanical engineering , I'm thinking of designing a water purification system, perhaps powered by solar energy. The senior is a one semester course for a team of two Mechanical engineers. I know that one way of doing this is passing the water through sand/charcoal/gravel and than through UV treatment . However ,I'm not sure how much of the mechanical engineering principles I have take could be applied to this project. Does this make a good one semester project .Also there is no sponsoring so how high could the budget get if I want to make a prototype.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi TJ00343,

I just saw your post and realized this may be way too late to reply. My company builds water purification units for disaster responders. We're about to launch a solar powered WPS that fits into a suitcase! I'd be happy to chat if you need any help.

Regards,

Steve Neill
President, AidGear
http://www.aidgear.com

1. How does a water purification system work?

A water purification system works by removing impurities and contaminants from water through various processes such as filtration, sedimentation, and disinfection. These processes remove harmful substances such as bacteria, viruses, and chemicals, making the water safe for consumption.

2. What are the main challenges in designing a water purification system for developing communities?

The main challenges in designing a water purification system for developing communities include limited resources, lack of infrastructure, and cultural barriers. Limited resources may make it difficult to implement and maintain a system, while lack of infrastructure can make it challenging to access and distribute clean water. Cultural barriers, such as mistrust of new technology or traditional practices, can also hinder the adoption of a water purification system.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a water purification system for a developing community?

Some key factors to consider when designing a water purification system for a developing community include the source of water, the level of contamination, the availability of resources and infrastructure, and the cultural beliefs and practices of the community. It is important to also consider the long-term sustainability and maintenance of the system.

4. What are some sustainable options for water purification systems in developing communities?

Some sustainable options for water purification systems in developing communities include biosand filters, solar disinfection, and ceramic filters. These systems are low-cost, easy to maintain, and use locally available materials. Another sustainable approach is community-based water treatment and distribution systems, where the community is involved in the operation and maintenance of the system.

5. How can a water purification system benefit a developing community?

A water purification system can benefit a developing community in many ways. It can provide access to clean and safe drinking water, reducing the risk of waterborne diseases and improving overall health. It can also save time and resources spent on collecting and boiling water for consumption. Additionally, a water purification system can have a positive impact on the environment by reducing the use of plastic water bottles and decreasing water pollution.