Magnetic Field of 60-Turn Coil w/ 0.2m Radius & 4A Current

In summary, the formula for calculating the magnetic field strength of a coil is μ₀NlI/R, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, l is the length of the coil, I is the current, and R is the radius of the coil. The more turns a coil has, the stronger the magnetic field will be. The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is tesla (T) in the SI system. The radius of a coil has an inverse relationship with the magnetic field strength, meaning that a smaller radius will result in a stronger field. The direction of the magnetic field in a coil is determined by the right-hand rule, and in this case, it will be count
pooka
What is the magnetic field at the center of a 60-turn coil carrying a current of 4 A, if it has a radius of 0.2 m?

I was thinking of using the equation B=(mu0)(N/l)(current)

But I was wondering do I use the radius for l or do I use the diameter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to consider it as flat circular coil instead of a solenoid

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 NI}{2r}[/tex]

thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field strength of a 60-turn coil with a 0.2m radius and 4A current?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field strength of a coil is μ₀NlI/R, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space (4π x 10⁻⁷), N is the number of turns, l is the length of the coil, I is the current, and R is the radius of the coil.

2. How does the number of turns in a coil affect the magnetic field strength?

The more turns a coil has, the stronger the magnetic field will be. This is because each turn contributes to the overall magnetic field, so increasing the number of turns will increase the strength of the field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field strength?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is tesla (T) in the SI system. Another commonly used unit is gauss (G), where 1 T = 10,000 G.

4. How does the radius of a coil affect the magnetic field strength?

The radius of a coil has an inverse relationship with the magnetic field strength. This means that as the radius increases, the magnetic field strength decreases. In other words, a smaller radius will result in a stronger magnetic field, and a larger radius will result in a weaker magnetic field.

5. What is the direction of the magnetic field in a 60-turn coil with a 0.2m radius and 4A current?

The direction of the magnetic field in a coil is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current (from positive to negative), the curl of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field. In this case, the magnetic field will be directed counterclockwise when viewed from above the coil.