Finding mass of circular piece of wire?

In summary, to calculate the total mass of a circular piece of wire of radius 4cm centered at the origin whose mass density is \rho(x,y) = X2 g/cm, you need to parametrize the circular piece using C(t) = (4cost, 4sint). The bounds for t are -\pi <= t <= \pi, representing a full revolution of a circle. When it comes to parameterizing shapes and curves, there is no unique parametrization, but finding one that works and is easy to use is enough. For example, a wire in the shape of a parabola y = x^2 can be parameterized as C(t) = (t, t^2).
Chandasouk
Calculate the total mass of a circular piece of wire of radius 4cm centered at the origin whose mass density is[tex]\rho[/tex](x,y) = X2 g/cm

I get that you have to parametrize the circular peace, giving you C(t) =(4cost, 4sint) but how do you get the bounds for t?

The solution states that it is -[tex]\pi[/tex]<=t<=[tex]\pi[/tex] but how?

Also, it's actually been a while since my class spoke on line integrals and I realized now that I have great difficulty parameterizing shapes and curves that gives me problems further on in Calc 3. Are there parametrization I should automatically know? For example how does a wire in the shape of a parabola y = x2 parameterize to C(t) = (t, t^2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chandasouk said:
Calculate the total mass of a circular piece of wire of radius 4cm centered at the origin whose mass density is[tex]\rho[/tex](x,y) = X2 g/cm

I get that you have to parametrize the circular peace, giving you C(t) =(4cost, 4sint) but how do you get the bounds for t?

The solution states that it is -[tex]\pi[/tex]<=t<=[tex]\pi[/tex] but how?
those represent a full revolution of a circle
Chandasouk said:
Also, it's actually been a while since my class spoke on line integrals and I realized now that I have great difficulty parameterizing shapes and curves that gives me problems further on in Calc 3. Are there parametrization I should automatically know? For example how does a wire in the shape of a parabola y = x2 parameterize to C(t) = (t, t^2) ?

Homework Statement

the cartesian equation of a circle is x^2 + y^2 = 1, that of a parabola is y = x^2

try substituting in the parametrix equations for x and y in each and you will see they are satisfied.

Note there is no unique paramterisation for these problems, just finding one that works (and is easy to use in the problem) is enough

1. How do you measure the mass of a circular piece of wire?

To measure the mass of a circular piece of wire, you will need a scale that is sensitive enough to accurately measure small amounts of weight. Place the wire on the scale and record the measurement. If the wire is too light to register on the scale, you can add other objects with known weights to the scale and subtract their combined weight from the total weight to find the weight of the wire alone.

2. What unit of measurement is used for the mass of a circular piece of wire?

The standard unit of measurement for mass is grams (g) or kilograms (kg). For smaller, more precise measurements, milligrams (mg) may be used. It is important to use a consistent unit of measurement when conducting experiments and reporting results.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the mass measurement for a circular piece of wire?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of a mass measurement for a circular piece of wire. These include the precision of the scale, the placement of the wire on the scale, and any air currents that may affect the measurement. It is important to use a high-quality scale and to take precautions to minimize any potential sources of error.

4. Can the mass of a circular piece of wire change over time?

The mass of a circular piece of wire can change over time due to various factors such as corrosion, oxidation, or chemical reactions. However, for most practical purposes, the mass of a wire will remain relatively constant over a short period of time. If precise measurements are needed, it is best to conduct them as quickly as possible to minimize any potential changes in mass.

5. How can the mass of a circular piece of wire be used in scientific research?

The mass of a circular piece of wire can be used in various ways in scientific research. It can be used as a control variable in experiments to compare the effects of other factors on the wire. It can also be used to calculate the density of the wire, which can provide valuable information about its composition and properties. Additionally, the mass of a wire can be used in mathematical equations to model physical phenomena or to predict the behavior of other objects with similar mass.