Find relationship between mass and a pseudo-variable

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the interior mass of a star. The solution involves replacing certain variables and using the chain rule in order to plot a normalized function that will give the desired result.
June_cosmo

Homework Statement

https://dept.astro.lsa.umich.edu/~mmateo/Astr404_W16/WebPage/Assignment_Jan21.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Apologize for the long question. I was able to solve problem a and b. But for problem c, I was confused. I asked my professor and he gave me this explanation:

"I give you theta (the temperature) as a function of xi; as I recall, that solution is theta = sin(xi) / xi. And you know too that rho(xi) = rho_c * theta since n=1 for this case.

So now you calculate the interior mass by replacing rho(r) with with this expression for rho(xi) and r^2 with xi^2 and dr with dxi. Then integrate from 0 (the center) to values between 0 and pi (3.14159 since the surface of the star corresponds to xi=pi). For example, the integral is from 0 to 1 to get m(xi=1) and so forth. As you will see the integral is analytic, so this is just evaluating a simple function for values of xi between 0 and pi. Then you plot this, normalizing the y-axis to go from 0 to 1.0 and you can either leave xi to go from 0 to pi, or define a new varlable xi-prime = xi/pi and plot from 0 to 1 using xi-prime. "

so I am confused because xi=alpha*r,why can we substitute r^2 with xi^2? Even if we do this, we get a function with a few constants in it. How can we plot this function?

Last edited by a moderator:
June_cosmo said:
"I give you theta (the temperature) as a function of xi; as I recall, that solution is theta = sin(xi) / xi. And you know too that rho(xi) = rho_c * theta since n=1 for this case.

So now you calculate the interior mass by replacing rho(r) with with this expression for rho(xi) and r^2 with xi^2 and dr with dxi. Then integrate from 0 (the center) to values between 0 and pi (3.14159 since the surface of the star corresponds to xi=pi). For example, the integral is from 0 to 1 to get m(xi=1) and so forth. As you will see the integral is analytic, so this is just evaluating a simple function for values of xi between 0 and pi. Then you plot this, normalizing the y-axis to go from 0 to 1.0 and you can either leave xi to go from 0 to pi, or define a new varlable xi-prime = xi/pi and plot from 0 to 1 using xi-prime. "

so I am confused because xi=alpha*r,why can we substitute r^2 with xi^2?
You can't. Also, you have it slightly wrong; it's ##r = \alpha \xi##. You have to replace ##r^2## with ##(\alpha \xi)^2##, and use the chain rule to relate ##\frac{d}{dr}## to ##\frac{d}{d\xi}##.

Even if we do this, we get a function with a few constants in it. How can we plot this function?
That's why your professor said to plot the normalized function. You want ##m_\xi(\pi) = 1##.

What is a pseudo-variable?

A pseudo-variable is a term used in scientific research to refer to a variable that is not directly measured or controlled, but is instead inferred or estimated based on other variables.

How do you find the relationship between mass and a pseudo-variable?

The relationship between mass and a pseudo-variable is typically determined through statistical analysis, such as regression analysis or correlation analysis. This involves collecting data on both variables and then analyzing the data to determine the strength and direction of the relationship between them.

Why is it important to find the relationship between mass and a pseudo-variable?

Understanding the relationship between mass and a pseudo-variable can provide valuable insights into the underlying mechanisms or processes that influence both variables. It can also help to identify potential causality between the two variables, which can be useful for making predictions or informing decision-making in various fields of study.

What are some examples of pseudo-variables?

Some examples of pseudo-variables include socioeconomic status, intelligence quotient (IQ), and personality traits. These variables cannot be directly measured, but researchers often use other indicators or proxies to estimate their values.

What are some limitations of studying the relationship between mass and a pseudo-variable?

One limitation is that the relationship may not be causative, and there may be other factors or variables that influence both mass and the pseudo-variable. Additionally, the accuracy and validity of the relationship can be affected by the quality of data and the methods used to measure or estimate the variables. Finally, the relationship may only be applicable within a specific context or population, and may not be generalizable to other situations.