Laplace transformation question

In summary, the conversation is about solving the differential equation y''' - 5y'' + t^4 = 0 with initial conditions y(o) = y'(0)=0 y''(0)=1. The conversation discusses converting the equation into s, factoring it, and using the Laplace transform. However, there is a divide by zero error when trying to solve for certain variables. The person suggests using a linear algebra approach with matrices.
John777

Homework Statement

y''' - 5y'' + t^4 = 0

y(o) = y'(0)=0 y''(0)=1

The derivs are respect to t.

I converted everything into s and factored

Y(s) = (S^5+24)/(s^7(s+5) = A/s^7 + B/s^6 + C/s^5 + D/s^4 + E/s^3 + F/s^2 + G/s + H/(s+5)

Normally you would go through multiplying the terms by the denominator of each and setting s equal to a value that would cancel most things out. I can solve for H and A but after that each the method with which I discussed results in divide by zero error.

Any suggestions on what to do in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Laplace Transform of derivative is s multiplied by Laplace transform.The Attempt at a SolutionI tried to solve it in the same method mentioned earlier but that did not work out. I am thinking I may need to solve it using a linear algebra approach with matrices, but I am unsure how.

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

2. What are the applications of Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform has many applications in various fields, including control systems, signal processing, circuit analysis, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the study of electrical networks, vibrations, and heat transfer.

3. How is the Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform is calculated by integrating the function of time multiplied by the exponential function of the complex frequency. The result is a function of complex frequency, which can then be used to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

4. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the operation that transforms a function of complex frequency back into a function of time. It is the reverse of the Laplace transform and is used to obtain the original function from its transformed form.

5. What are some properties of Laplace transform?

Some properties of Laplace transform include linearity, time-shifting, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties allow for simplification and manipulation of functions to solve complex equations and analyze systems.