Can you get into archeology with a study applied physics?

In summary, the person is planning on studying applied physics but their passion is history and archeology. They chose applied physics because it offers better job opportunities. They are wondering about their chances of getting a job in archeology after their studies and what type of job they could get. They also ask about specific master's degrees they should pursue. They live and study in the Netherlands. To get a job in archeology, they will need training and field experience. A B.Sc. in applied physics is beneficial in the field due to the use of technology and methods such as MRI scans. They are advised to consult with professors of archeology for better advice and to have a good understanding of both the physics and cultural aspects of the
ace frehley
I'm planning on doing a BSc in applied physics next year, but my real passion has always been history and archeology. The reason I chose for applied physics and not history or archeology is because the odds of getting a good job after the study is much greater.

Now I was wondering, what are my odds of getting a job related to archeology after this study? What kind of job could this be? And are there any particular master's degress I should choose?

I live (and study) in the Netherlands, if that makes a difference.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get a job in archaeology, you will need some training, and to have worked in the field on excavations and the like.

http://www.alec.co.uk/free-career-assessment/careers-in-archeology.htm

One of the archaeology job boards, with links:
http://www.archaeological.org/jobs

A B. Sc in applied physics will be a real bonus since there are a lot of new technologies being used in the field and in labs that rely on physics. (mostly in the labs...) Among them are methods to date deposits using things like uranium content and aging sites based on how much light has changed certain minerals ( I can't remember what those are- perhaps some form of quartz? )

Doing MRI scans to find out the chemicals absorbed by ancient pots requires applied physics, chemistry, and more...

You would get better advice consulting with professors of archaeology at one or more nearby institution(s), or at regional meet-ups of people in the profession.

Besides the physics side of the science, you will need a good grounding in the cultural side as well, and a wide understanding of human social behaviours. ( Over the years I have spotted some weak assertions made by people who seem to lack this kind of insight to some degree... basic human needs desires underlie everything we all do, but cultures (shared learned behaviour and beliefs) modify how we express and hopefully fill those needs.)

A B.Sc. in applied physics is a good base to start from, though, I'd say.

It will also be handy in shooting down those "Chariots of the Gods" enthusiasts who all make ridiculous claims.

1. Can I use my degree in applied physics to work in archeology?

Yes, a degree in applied physics can be useful for a career in archeology. The skills and knowledge gained from studying applied physics, such as data analysis and problem-solving, can be applied to archeological research and analysis. However, additional training or experience in archeology may be necessary.

2. What types of jobs can I get in archeology with a degree in applied physics?

Some potential job roles in archeology that may be suitable for someone with a degree in applied physics include geoarchaeologist, archaeological geophysicist, or materials scientist. These roles often involve using scientific techniques to analyze artifacts and archaeological sites.

3. Do I need to have a background in archeology to work in the field?

While a background in archeology can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many archeologists come from various academic backgrounds, including applied physics. However, it may be beneficial to gain some experience or take courses in archeology to supplement your degree.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of archeology with a degree in applied physics?

Yes, many universities offer specialized programs or courses in archeological sciences, which may include topics such as archaeological physics, materials analysis, or geophysical techniques. These can be valuable for those interested in pursuing a specific area of archeology with a background in applied physics.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that I should focus on to prepare for a career in archeology with a degree in applied physics?

Some key skills and knowledge that may be useful for a career in archeology with a degree in applied physics include data analysis, laboratory techniques, and familiarity with scientific equipment and software. Additionally, knowledge of archeological field methods and experience with cultural heritage management may also be beneficial.