How to pulse electric a current

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of pulsing an electric current through a circuit. The person is unsure of where to start and is looking for advice. Some suggestions are given, including using an IC 555 timer chip or creating a multivibrator with relays. The frequency of the pulse is also discussed, with one estimate at 20Hz. The person also mentions wanting to adjust the speed of the pulses and asks for book or article recommendations. The conversation ends with a link to a Wikipedia page for more information on the 555 timer series.
balbert99
How to "pulse" electric a current

I'm looking for a way, or component, that will pulse an electrical current through a circuit, and I'm not sure where to start looking. I'm looking to hook a 9v battery to a small simple circuit and send the current through that circuit in pulses. For example on-off-on-off.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try looking at IC 555 timer chip circuits. What you want is an astable multivibrator.

It would help a lot to describe the frequency of the pulse. Please be specific to get an educated guess. Don't expect an exact answer but one that will point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
After reading your question closer, one thing I could do is make a multivibrator out of two nine volt DC relays. The multivibrator frequency would be determined by the RL of the relays. I have never tried this but would give a guess at 20HZ? The frequency depends on the RL circuit and the larger the relays the slower it would flip-flop. But if all you want to do is use a simple 555 timer then go for it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help! I'm new to this, and find it very interesting. I don't think I know enough to answer your questions with a lot of detail. What I'm imagining is a circuit similar to (but not exactly like) a string of flashing christmas tree lights. Some strings give you the ability to set their speed: slow, fast, or solid/no flash. Since I'm new to this, I'd like the ability to adjust the speed the "pulses" travel through the circuit to see how things react at different speeds: slow, medium, fast, etc. From what I've read, the 555 timer would be a good start.

Any books or on-line articles you can suggest would be great too! Thanks again!

1. How does pulsing electric current work?

Pulsing electric current involves sending short bursts of electrical energy through a circuit at regular intervals. This can be achieved by using a device called a pulser or by rapidly turning a switch on and off. The pulsing action allows for greater control over the flow of electricity and can be used for various purposes such as stimulating muscles or controlling electronic devices.

2. What are the benefits of pulsing electric current?

Pulsing electric current can have a range of benefits depending on its intended use. For example, in medical applications, it can be used to stimulate muscles and nerves for therapeutic purposes. In electronics, it can be used to control the flow of electricity and improve the efficiency of devices. Pulsing current can also reduce the risk of electric shocks and extend the lifespan of electronic components.

3. How is a pulser different from a regular power supply?

A pulser is a device specifically designed to generate short pulses of electrical energy, while a regular power supply provides a continuous flow of electricity. Pulsers have different components and circuitry that allow for precise control over the duration, frequency, and amplitude of the pulses. In contrast, a regular power supply delivers a constant voltage or current to a circuit.

4. Can pulsing electric current be dangerous?

Like any electrical current, pulsing electric current can be dangerous if not used properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate equipment when working with pulsing current. Pulsers and other devices that generate pulsed current should also be designed and used in accordance with safety standards to minimize the risk of electric shock or other hazards.

5. How can pulsing electric current be used in scientific research?

Pulsing electric current has a wide range of applications in scientific research. It can be used in studies on the effects of electricity on living organisms, such as muscle contraction or nerve stimulation. Pulsing current can also be used to control and manipulate electronic components in experiments, or to simulate real-world scenarios for testing purposes. In addition, pulsing electric current is commonly used in medical research for treatments and therapies.