Focal Length: cm-1 Conversion | 0.0759cm-1

In summary, the conversation discusses the focal length of a concave mirror and how it is measured in units of length, not inverse length. The speaker also clarifies that 1/f represents the focal length, not f as initially thought. They also determine that the focal length is equal to 1/0.0759 cm, which is approximately 13.18 cm.
zuzu23
I am doing an assignment for school about the focal length of a concave mirror.
I found that the focal length for the mirror was 0.0759cm-1
But, how much is that really in terms of cm? So basically, 0.0759cm-1 = ?cm

Thanks ;D

Physics news on Phys.org
Focal length has units of length, not inverse length. What you probably found was 1/f, not f. Check over your equations and see if that's the problem.

Hmm, so if that is 1/f then f would be the inverse of that?
So it would be 0.0759cm? =o

No. If 1/f = 0.0759 cm-1, then f = 1/0.0759 cm.

Oh, right :redface:

So, 1/0.0759 = 13.18cm

Sorry for my dumb questions, but it's the first time I'm doing this so I'm pretty much confused :blushing:

1. What is focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens or curved mirror and its focal point. It is typically measured in centimeters (cm) or millimeters (mm).

2. How do you convert focal length from cm-1 to 0.0759cm-1?

To convert focal length from cm-1 to 0.0759cm-1, you can use the formula: 0.0759cm-1 = 1 / (focal length in cm). For example, if the focal length is 10cm, the conversion would be 0.0759cm-1 = 1 / (10cm) = 0.1cm-1.

3. Why is focal length important in optics?

Focal length is important in optics because it determines the magnification and field of view of a lens or mirror. It also affects the quality and clarity of the image produced.

4. How does focal length relate to the size of an object in an image?

The longer the focal length, the larger the object will appear in the image. This is because a longer focal length results in a narrower field of view, which magnifies the image.

5. Is there a standard unit for measuring focal length?

Yes, the standard unit for measuring focal length is the meter (m). However, it is common to use centimeters (cm) or millimeters (mm) for smaller values.