Graphically determining the focal length of a converging lens

ilovemycat
Homework Statement
Graphically determining the focal length of a converging lens by graphing the given object distances (do) and image distances (di)
Relevant Equations
1/f = 1/do + 1/di
So I have plotted all the given data points on a graph, putting 1/di on the y- axis and 1/do on the x-axis. I have to now find focal length from the graph? I'm not sure how, I'm thinking I have to rearrange the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di into y = mx + b form then go from there, but I'm totally unsure how to do this. Can anyone provide guidance? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, i have not been asked to provide a ray diagram. heres the graph i made:
Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 8.20.42 PM.png

unsure how to find focal length just graphically...

There must be some kind of instructions that accompany these data whether they were provided to you or you collected them doing an experiment. What are these instructions?

It would also help if you provided a table of values instead of a graph. The graph you provided shows di as a function of do. What makes you think that is the right things to plot? Look at the "relevant equation" that you posted and think what you must plot to extract the focal length from the numbers you have. Remember that the focal length is a constant independent of di and do.

ilovemycat said:
Homework Statement: Graphically determining the focal length of a converging lens by graphing the given object distances (do) and image distances (di)
Relevant Equations: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di

So I have plotted all the given data points on a graph, putting 1/di on the y- axis and 1/do on the x-axis. I have to now find focal length from the graph? I'm not sure how, I'm thinking I have to rearrange the equation 1/f = 1/do + 1/di into y = mx + b form then go from there, but I'm totally unsure how to do this. Can anyone provide guidance? Thanks
It appears that you have been given set of object distances and image distances. It stands to reason that each image distance is paired with a particular object distance. From each pair ##\displaystyle \left \{ d_o\, ,\, d_i \right \} ## get the ordered pair ##\displaystyle \left ( 1/d_o\, ,\, 1/d_i \right ) ## and plot that as a pint on your graph.

Since each point has a ##y##-coordinate of ##\displaystyle 1/d_i ## , you should solve the equation ##\displaystyle 1/f = 1/d_o+1/d_i ## for ##\displaystyle 1/d_i ##. Comparing the resulting equation to the equation ##\displaystyle \quad y=mx+b## , your graph should have points lying roughly along a line with a slope of ##-1## having a y-intercept of about ##\displaystyle 1/f## .

Notice that the x-intercept is also ##\displaystyle 1/f## .

Last edited:

1. How is the focal length of a converging lens determined graphically?

The focal length of a converging lens can be determined graphically by using the lens equation, which states that 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

2. What materials are needed to graphically determine the focal length of a converging lens?

To graphically determine the focal length of a converging lens, you will need a light source, a converging lens, a screen, and a ruler or measuring tape.

3. What is the procedure for graphically determining the focal length of a converging lens?

The procedure for graphically determining the focal length of a converging lens involves placing the light source at a known distance from the lens, measuring the distance between the lens and the screen, and adjusting the distance until a clear image is formed on the screen. The focal length can then be calculated using the lens equation.

4. Can the focal length of a converging lens be determined using a single ray of light?

No, the focal length of a converging lens cannot be accurately determined using a single ray of light. Multiple rays of light are needed to accurately determine the focal length.

5. How does the placement of the object and screen affect the accuracy of the graphically determined focal length?

The accuracy of the graphically determined focal length can be affected by the placement of the object and screen. It is important to ensure that the object is placed far enough from the lens and that the screen is placed at the correct distance from the lens to obtain a clear image. Otherwise, the calculated focal length may not be accurate.