Troubleshooting a Missing CD ROM Drive on a Laptop

• Thread starter transporter84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary: CD burning.If you have a burner that you use with other programs, uninstall those programs as well to see if that resolves the issue.Yes, I uninstalled Roxio and any other CD burning software. I also tried formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows.
transporter84
hi everyone ...i stopped sharing in this amazing forum for long time because of i was so busy in my work >>> but i always come back when i need it . , and i hope you can help me .

my problem now that i can not see the CD ROM icon when i open My Computer screen

it is not found , and when i enter a CD there is no effect .

by the way , it is a LAPTOP , not a disktop >

also i believe there is no hardware problem with the CD Rom as there is no thing new( damage or crash ) happen to it , also it open and close normally and flassing also .

please can anybody tel me the causes and solution of such a problem .

thank u so much .

Computer science news on Phys.org
Check in the Hardware section and see if the CD drive is listed, and if it is, test it. If there is a problem, the diagnostic test might see it. There is a possibility that your driver is corrupted, too. If you can "see" the drive in the hardware list, take note of the make and model and download and install the most current driver for that drive. Check back if these don't help.

During bootup does the BIOS recognize as there being a drive present, or is it only Windows that isn't recognizing it?

actually yep ... it is recognized in bios screen , also in the device manager in windows . but there is this yellow ! mark on it ( undifined ) , and when i try to make update drive ... answer is that this is bset defension .

Get your driver file ready where you can point to it easily. Uninstall the drive from the system (not physically), then reboot. Windows should find "new hardware" and it will ask if you want it to search for a driver or let you install one from a specific location. Choose to install from the folder where you put the new driver file. If you had a corrupted driver file, that should cure the problem.

transporter84 said:
actually yep ... it is recognized in bios screen , also in the device manager in windows . but there is this yellow ! mark on it ( undifined ) , and when i try to make update drive ... answer is that this is bset defension .

Go to the manufacturer of your laptop website and try updating your chipset drivers.

Did you by chance uninstall any CD burning software? I've seen cd/dvd drives "disappear" after uninstalling Roxio ...

1. Why is my CD ROM drive not showing up on my computer?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that the CD ROM drive is properly connected to your computer and turned on. If it is, then it could be a problem with the drive itself, such as a malfunction or outdated driver. It could also be an issue with your computer's settings or software. Try troubleshooting these potential problems or seeking the help of a professional.

2. How can I find my CD ROM drive on a Mac?

On a Mac, you can find your CD ROM drive by opening the Finder and looking for the drive under the "Devices" section. If it is not showing up there, try checking your computer's settings and making sure the drive is properly connected and turned on.

3. Is it possible to use a CD ROM drive with a laptop that doesn't have one built-in?

Yes, it is possible to use a CD ROM drive with a laptop that does not have one built-in. You can purchase an external CD ROM drive that can be connected to your laptop via USB. Make sure to check the compatibility of the external drive with your laptop before purchasing.

4. Can I still use a CD ROM drive with a computer that has a newer operating system?

Yes, CD ROM drives are still compatible with newer operating systems. However, some newer computers may not have a CD ROM drive built-in, so you may need to purchase an external drive or use a USB drive to access CD ROMs.

5. How can I fix a CD ROM drive that is not reading discs?

If your CD ROM drive is not reading discs, first try cleaning the disc and making sure it is not damaged. If the issue persists, the problem could be with the drive itself. You can try troubleshooting the drive or seeking the help of a professional for repairs.