My laptop is infected, what should I do?

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the person's computer was infected and they were trying to remove the virus. The person's computer had a problem installing the Norton program and they contacted Norton support. The Norton team remotely accessed the computer and they were unable to find the virus. The person is going to call Norton tomorrow to work on the virus. The person also mentioned that the new Norton Core might help.
yungman
Hi

I was on Yahoo reading some articles and the screen popped up and said my computer is infected, telling me not to turn off the computer and call Microsoft with some number. Before I can screen capture the message, it disappeared.

I have Norton 360, I click the icon to try to do a scan, the program is corrupted. I went on Norton and download the program. I have problem re-installing the program. I am still trying.

At the mean time, I backed up all the stuffs from the computer into a memory stick. I don't dare to put it on another computer because I afraid even the stuffs I back up into the memory stick is infected. My question is how do I scan the memory stick with another computer without taking the risk of infecting the other computer?

Far as this infected laptop, what can I do? The Norton just have another error, I am about to run power eraser. I just want to clean the computer at this point, nothing more stuff that is of value on the computer anymore. I just hope I don't have to wipe the whole laptop and start all over again. Please advice.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure the popped up screen came from your computer? Sometimes ads on internet might show up and tell you that your computer is infected.

To ensure your memory stick doesn't get infected is to copy your files one by one but the best way is actually wipe your whole computer.

I somehow install the Norton 360 and ran the power eraser. BUT there were messages that installation failed. I really not comfortable the problem is fixed. Any other virus removal program I should run? Please advice some link for me to run.

Thanks

PeppaPig said:
Are you sure the popped up screen came from your computer? Sometimes ads on internet might show up and tell you that your computer is infected.

To ensure your memory stick doesn't get infected is to copy your files one by one but the best way is actually wipe your whole computer.

No I am not sure. I hurried up to open the snipper program to capture the screen but it's too late. But one thing for sure, whatever happened, it destroy my Norton 360. I even went on control panel to try to uninstall Norton and it won't. Something is very wrong. But for now, I can still use the computer.

yungman said:
I somehow install the Norton 360 and ran the power eraser. BUT there were messages that installation failed. I really not comfortable the problem is fixed. Any other virus removal program I should run? Please advice some link for me to run.

Thanks

You might have to contact Norton support.

Last edited:
I contacted Norton, they remotely access my computer and apparently they cannot find any problem. The Norton program is working. So they refer me to call their Virus removal team to be safe. I am going to call them tomorrow.

The person said it's common now a days that some scam going around saying the computer is infected and call a certain number. Of cause I did not call, instead I came here and went to Norton directly. But whatever the virus is, it sure screwed up the Norton program. So I am going to call tomorrow to work on this.

BTW, does the new Norton Core help? I am thinking about buying one. I am not particularly good with computers and I am the IT person of the house!

What are the signs that my laptop is infected?

Some common signs that your laptop may be infected include slow performance, frequent pop-up ads, unexplained changes to settings, and programs opening or closing without your input.

How did my laptop get infected?

There are several ways that a laptop can become infected, including downloading infected files or programs, clicking on malicious links or ads, and using unsecured networks. It's important to always be cautious and use antivirus software to protect your device.

Should I pay for an antivirus software?

While there are many free antivirus software options available, it is generally recommended to invest in a reputable paid antivirus program. These programs often offer more comprehensive protection and regular updates to keep up with new threats.

What should I do if my laptop is infected?

If you suspect that your laptop is infected, the first step is to run a full system scan with your antivirus software. If the issue persists, you may need to seek help from a professional or use specialized malware removal tools to fully remove the infection.

How can I prevent my laptop from getting infected in the future?

To prevent future infections, it's important to practice safe browsing habits such as avoiding suspicious links and downloads, regularly updating your software and operating system, and using a reputable antivirus program. It's also a good idea to regularly back up important files in case of an attack.