Can any type light bulb be powered by gas?

In summary, a gas light is just a torch that is powered by gas. An incandescent light bulb only needs the filament to be heated, so I suppose you could have a hollow filament with very hot gas passing through the centre and heating it.
stickythighs
Can a halogen light bulb be powered by gas, or can a halogen light bulb only be powered by electricity?

Can an incandescent light bulb be powered by gas, or can an incandescent light bulb only be powered by electricity?

Computer science news on Phys.org
stickythighs said:
Can a halogen light bulb be powered by gas, or can a halogen light bulb only be powered by electricity?

Can an incandescent light bulb be powered by gas, or can an incandescent light bulb only be powered by electricity?

An incandescent light bulb only needs the filament to be heated, so I suppose you could have a hollow filament with very hot gas passing through the centre and heating it.

A halogen light bulb is just an incandescent light bulb whose filament is surrounded by a halogen, which let's it get hotter while lengthening its life. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
An incandescent light bulb only needs the filament to be heated, so I suppose you could have a hollow filament with very hot gas passing through the centre and heating it.

Are there (or have there ever been) incandescent light bulbs that were powered by gas and mass-produced?

No. I'm not even really sure what the point would be. The burning gas would give off more light than the filament!

Judging by your other thread, I'm not sure you understand something here: a gas lamp doesn't have a ligth bulb in it.

russ_watters said:
The burning gas would give off more light than the filament!

That's why I'm putting it inside the filament! :wink:

russ_watters said:
No. I'm not even really sure what the point would be. The burning gas would give off more light than the filament!

Do you concur with tiny_tim that a gas light is basically just a torch that is powered by gas?

Judging by your other thread, I'm not sure you understand something here: a gas lamp doesn't have a ligth bulb in it.

I've seen gas lights in which the flame is enclosed in a glass box. By definition, does a light enclosed by glass have to have a filament that is lit by incandescence in order to be a light bulb?

Yes, a gas light is just a torch. The flame gives off light. I'm not sure it that is incandescence or not. I think it is - the flame glows because it is hot and contains impurities. Some types of flames give off light via other processes though, so I'm not certain if that's really incandescence or not. We've had that question enough times though, I aught to know by now...

tiny-tim said:
That's why I'm putting it inside the filament! :wink:
Yeah, missed that part, sorry. That would be interesting - I wonder if its ever been done (it is done for infrared, but I haven't heard of it for visible light).

russ_watters said:
The flame gives off light. I'm not sure it that is incandescence or not.

Incandescence is light due to heat - it is an important question because the law in the UK said that you had to have an "incandescent light" which banned LED bike lights.

It got changed recently when EU car makers started fitting LED lights.
Until then you could be stopped for having an LED light which both exceeded laser eye safety limits and wasn't considered accepatable illimunation!

Related to Can any type light bulb be powered by gas?

1. Can any type of light bulb be powered by gas?

No, not all light bulbs can be powered by gas. Gas-powered light bulbs are specifically designed to use gas as their source of energy. Traditional incandescent light bulbs, for example, cannot be powered by gas.

2. How do gas-powered light bulbs work?

Gas-powered light bulbs work by igniting a mixture of gas and air within a sealed glass chamber. This creates a controlled explosion, which produces heat and light. The gas used can vary, but commonly it is a mixture of methane, propane, and butane.

3. Are gas-powered light bulbs more efficient than electric ones?

Gas-powered light bulbs are generally more efficient than electric ones, as they convert a higher percentage of their energy into light. However, they can also produce heat, which can be wasteful. In terms of cost, it depends on the cost of gas and electricity in your area.

4. Are gas-powered light bulbs safe?

Gas-powered light bulbs can be safe if they are used correctly and maintained properly. However, there is a risk of explosion if the gas mixture is not controlled properly or if the glass chamber is damaged. It is important to follow all safety precautions and regularly check for any damages.

5. Can gas-powered light bulbs be used indoors?

Yes, gas-powered light bulbs can be used indoors. However, it is important to make sure the area is well-ventilated to prevent a buildup of gas. It is also important to regularly check for any damages or leaks to ensure safety. Gas-powered light bulbs are commonly used in outdoor lighting, such as streetlights and camping lanterns.