Average resistance force to stop an object

In summary, the problem involves a 50.0 kg diver dropping from a 10.0 m high diving board into water and coming to rest 5.0 m below the surface. The average resistance force exerted by the water on the diver is determined by finding the change in kinetic energy and dividing it by the distance over which the force is applied. The correct answer should be -1000N.
bamfazoid

Homework Statement

A 50.0 kg diver steps off a 10.0 m high diving board and drops straight down into the water. If the diver comes to rest 5.0 m below the surface of the water, determine the average resistance force exerted on the diver by the water.

Homework Equations

PEg=mgh
KE=1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a similar question to this about a parachutist, but in that question there was a final velocity, in this one it seems like the final velocity would be 0? so I am lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the diver's velocity as he hits the water?
What is his kinetic energy?
What is the change in kinetic energy when the diver decelerates from that velocity to 0?
What is the work done in decelerating the diver?
What is the average resistive force on the diver as he decelerates?

14.0m/s ?
4900J ?
wouldnt the change just be -4900J since the KEf would be 0?
so work done is the same as change in kinetic energy...
what am i doing wrong?

Work done is the change in kinetic energy, yes.

Work done is also the average force multiplied by distance across which it is applied...

so i divide the work done by 5.0m or 10.0m or 15.0m?
the back of the book says the answer should be -1500N and i can't get that no matter how i do it

I don't get that either. I get -1000N, taking g = 10 N/kg

KE= GPE = mgh = 5000J

All this is taken from the diver in the 5m of water: F = W/d = 5000/5 = 1000N.

But I'm quite drunk at the moment so I might be wrong.

haha alright well thanks for all the help.

What is average resistance force to stop an object?

The average resistance force to stop an object is the force required to bring an object to a complete stop. It is the opposite force of the object's motion and is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

How is average resistance force calculated?

The average resistance force can be calculated by dividing the object's mass by the time it takes to stop and multiplying by the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the equation F = m/t * g.

What factors affect the average resistance force to stop an object?

The average resistance force to stop an object can be affected by factors such as the object's mass, velocity, and the surface it is moving on. Friction also plays a role in determining the amount of resistance force needed.

Is average resistance force to stop an object the same as frictional force?

No, average resistance force and frictional force are not the same. Frictional force is a specific type of resistance force that occurs between two surfaces in contact, while average resistance force is the overall force needed to stop an object.

Why is understanding average resistance force important?

Understanding average resistance force is important because it helps us determine the amount of force needed to stop an object, which is crucial in many real-world applications such as designing brakes for vehicles and calculating the impact force in accidents.