Resistance Force: 49 kg Diver Dropping 12 m

In summary, the diver has a potential energy of 5768.28 J when they jump off the diving board and drop into the water. Their kinetic energy at the surface is 1153.65 N.
Vision5

Homework Statement

A 49.0 kg diver steps off a 12.0 m high diving board and drops straight down into the water. If the diver comes to rest 5.0 below the surface of the water, determine the average resistance force exerted on the diver by the water.

Homework Equations

PE=m*g*h

KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the potential energy of the diver 12m above the water? The water will have to do an equivalent amount of work over a distance of 5m to stop the diver.

Remember: W = F*d (where W = work, F is force, d is distance)

Jimmy said:
What is the potential energy of the diver 12m above the water

So I should find the PE of the diver at 12m?
PE=49*12*9.81
PE=5768.28?

The question asks to determine the average resistance force exerted on the diver by the water.

So I would use W=F*D?

How do I put this all together now?

Vision5 said:
So I should find the PE of the diver at 12m?
PE=49*12*9.81
PE=5768.28?
That's correct. Don't forget the unit of energy: 5768.28 J (Joules)

Now that potential energy will be converted to kinetic energy as the diver falls. At the surface of the water, the diver will have 5768.28 J of KE.

The question asks to determine the average resistance force exerted on the diver by the water.

So I would use W=F*D?

How do I put this all together now?
As I stated before, the water will have to do an equivalent amount of Work (5768.28 J) to stop the diver- both work and energy are measured in Joules. Knowing that this happens over a distance of 5 meters, you can plug the known values into the Work formula and and solve for F:
W = F*D

F = W/D

I don't know if I'm just not doing something right or what it is but, i calculated PE:

PE=5768.28 J

Then you told me I should plug this in for work:

F=5768.28/5
F=1135.65 N

unfortunately this is not the correct answer... Any ideas what it could be??

I'm getting 1153.65 N. I'm sure your 1135 is a typo. What's given as the correct answer?

Yes that was a typo, but I don't know the correct answer I have to submit to a website and it only let's me know whether my answer is correct or not and it is telling me that 1153.65 N is not correct. Are there any other approaches to this problem?

Yes. I made a mistake. We need to consider the 5m below the water as well as the 12m in the PE calculation. Use 17m since that is the actual height the diver falls.

Sorry about that. Stupid mistake...

Its 1634.34 N

Thanks so much for the help.

Your welcome. I apparently need a little practice myself. :D

1. What is resistance force?

Resistance force is the opposing force that acts against the motion of an object. In this scenario, it refers to the force that acts against the diver as they fall through the air.

2. How is resistance force calculated?

Resistance force can be calculated using the formula F = 0.5 * p * v^2 * A * Cd, where F is the resistance force, p is the density of the fluid (in this case, air), v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What does the 49 kg represent in this scenario?

The 49 kg represents the mass of the diver, which is used to calculate their weight and the force of gravity acting on them.

4. What does the 12 m represent in this scenario?

The 12 m represents the distance the diver falls through the air before reaching the water. This distance is used to calculate the velocity of the diver.

5. Why is resistance force important to consider in this scenario?

Resistance force is important to consider because it affects the speed at which the diver falls and the impact they will experience when hitting the water. By understanding the resistance force, we can better understand the forces acting on the diver and ensure their safety.