Is Rhodium Likely to Have Positive Ion States with Noble-Gas Configuration?

• Thread starter needhelpperson
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking if the element rhodium, symbol Rh, is likely to have positive ion states with a noble-gas configuration. The answer is no, as the ionization energy for removing electrons in the 4d and 5s shells would be too high to reach an Argon configuration. Lattice energy, which applies to ionic compounds, also supports this answer.
needhelpperson
Help please, due tomorrow!

Do you expect the element rhodium, symbol Rh, to have positive ion states in which the metal ion has a noble-gas configuration? Use ionization energies and lattice energy to explain your answer.

I don't know where this question is trying to get at. Is it trying to ask if it is either more likely to be negative or positive?

the electrons that are needed to be removed are in the shells 4d and 5s in order for it to have a noble-gas configuration of Argon. There are 8 in the 4d and 1 in the 5s.

I'll give you my input. I said that NO i do not expect that because the ionization energy would be too immense before it reaches the configuration state of Argon so it would be highly unlikely. How do i use lattice energy to explain this?

And if i was wrong for the ionization energy can some one correct me, please? Thanks alot.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is the best way to tackle an assignment that is due tomorrow?

The best way to tackle an assignment that is due tomorrow is to start by creating a plan and breaking down the task into smaller, manageable chunks. Prioritize the most important tasks and allocate enough time for each one. Make sure to take breaks and stay focused to maximize productivity.

2. How can I stay motivated to finish an assignment that is due tomorrow?

To stay motivated, try setting small goals and rewarding yourself after completing each one. Surround yourself with a positive and distraction-free environment. Also, remember the importance of the assignment and the impact it will have on your overall grade.

3. What should I do if I am struggling to understand the material for an assignment that is due tomorrow?

If you are struggling to understand the material, try reaching out to your professor or classmates for clarification. You can also utilize online resources such as tutorial videos or study guides. Don't wait until the last minute to ask for help.

4. How can I manage my time effectively to complete an assignment that is due tomorrow?

To manage your time effectively, create a schedule and stick to it. Set specific blocks of time for each task and try to eliminate any distractions during those times. Prioritize the most important tasks and avoid multitasking.

5. Is it okay to ask for an extension on an assignment that is due tomorrow?

It is always best to communicate with your professor and explain your situation if you need an extension on an assignment due tomorrow. However, make sure to provide a valid reason and try to complete as much of the assignment as possible before the new deadline. Remember to always communicate and be respectful of your professor's decision.