Understanding Axial Forces and Section Properties in Strength of Materials

In summary, the student is having trouble with question 1 on the attached homework and is looking for help from the tutor. They understand that they need to get the area of the two bars, but are unsure of how to do so. They also seem to be lost on what the forces are and what the picture may look like. After doing some research online, the student seems to be on the right track with their calculations, but needs further guidance from the tutor.
stevie2869

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with question 1 on the attachment posted. I understand that i need to get the area of the 2 bars. I am just not sure what to do with the forces. ALso i know the picture may be dark. P2 starts at point B and is pulling to the right and P3 starts at point C and is pulling to the left.

Homework Equations

I believe i use the equation A=∏d(^2)/4 to find the area but i am lost from there

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• test 1.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 327
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like this is a test question. Perhaps you should do this on your own?

Its Review for our final. Its an old test The question comes right out of our textbook.

after doing some research online i think i may be on the right track. The question is attchment #1 and my solution is attachment #2 .Please advise if i am doing this correctly. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• strenth question 10.17.jpg
    strenth question 10.17.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 424
  • answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 399
I took that class last semester and you calcuations look correct to me, but then again i didnt ACE that class by any means

3 things. Why do you use pi on what the question says is a square section?
Your units of stress are not what an engineer would use. Have you drawn a normal force diagram, that is, a graph showing variation of axial load from one end to the other and checked it. If you had, and included the reaction I think you wouldn't have made the mistake you have for the force in AC.

wow. I misread the question. I still believe i need to use the equation θ= P/A
but now I am not sure how to get the area of a square bar A= bh when only one dimension is given? I no whave no idea what my next step is. We have not covered normal force diagrams

"im not sure how to get the area of a square bar A= bh when only one dimension is given?"
What do you understand is the difference is between a rectangular section bar and a square section bar? Do you have a working definition of the axial force at a section?
I have told you what a normal force diagram is. Can you sketch that by calculating the axial force at every section of the bar?

1. What is strength of materials?

Strength of materials is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of the behavior of solid objects under various types of external forces. It involves understanding how different materials respond to stress and strain, and how these properties can be used to design and analyze structures.

2. What are some common applications of strength of materials?

Strength of materials is used in various fields, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, and materials science. Some common applications include designing and analyzing structures such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles, determining the load-bearing capacity of materials, and predicting failure points in structures.

3. How is strength of materials different from structural engineering?

While strength of materials focuses on the behavior of individual materials and their response to external forces, structural engineering involves the design and analysis of entire structures, taking into account factors such as load distribution, material properties, and safety codes.

4. What are some key concepts in strength of materials?

Some key concepts in strength of materials include stress, strain, elasticity, yield strength, and ultimate strength. Stress refers to the internal forces acting on a material, while strain is the resulting deformation. Elasticity is the ability of a material to return to its original shape after being deformed. Yield strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand without permanent deformation, and ultimate strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand before breaking.

5. How can strength of materials be applied in real-world scenarios?

Strength of materials is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles. It is also used in materials selection for various applications, such as designing prosthetics, medical implants, and sports equipment. Additionally, understanding the strength of materials is important in failure analysis and determining the root cause of structural failures.