Voltage, Current, and Time Graph with Sine Wave

In summary, this graph shows voltage and current over time for a device, with the frequency of the voltage being 2.5 Hz. If you only wanted the frequency, the graph shows the period is 0.4 seconds, giving a frequency of 2.5 Hz.
anomalocaris

Homework Statement

Hello all! Basically, my professor used this graph in our lecture, but I do not really understand how to read it. The graph has three variables, so I'm guessing it is Voltage vs. Current as time increases? One question he asked was "The figure shows the voltage and current for a device. The frequency of the voltage is___" with the correct answer being 2.5 Hz.

Homework Equations

This graph makes very little sense to me, but I know that ω=2∏f
Would the self-inductance formula work here? ε=-L(ΔI/Δt)
This is the only equation I can think of that includes Volts, Amperes, and seconds.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the sine waves are in phase with different amplitudes, but the arrows pointing in opposite directions must mean something? Should I choose the point where both the emf and the current are zero?

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anomalocaris said:

Homework Statement

Hello all! Basically, my professor used this graph in our lecture, but I do not really understand how to read it. The graph has three variables, so I'm guessing it is Voltage vs. Current as time increases? One question he asked was "The figure shows the voltage and current for a device. The frequency of the voltage is___" with the correct answer being 2.5 Hz.

Homework Equations

This is the only equation I can think of that includes Volts, Amperes, and seconds.

I know the sine waves are in phase with different amplitudes, but the arrows pointing in opposite directions must mean something? Should I choose the point where both the emf and the current are zero?

I think the arrows are just showing you which axis/scale applies to each graph. ie peak voltage is 2, peak current is 0.3 [I forgot to check whether they were Volts/millivolts and amps/milliamps etc.

This could be the voltage vs current values for a standard ohmic component. To find the resistance of that component you choose any point on the graph and apply R = V/I choosing a point where both V and I are 0 wouldn't help refine your answer - I would choose the peak positions.

anomalocaris said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you were only after the frequency, the graph shows the Period (time for a full cycle) is 0.4 seconds. That gives a frequency of 2.5 f = 1/T

yeah choose the point where both emf and the current are zero

Last edited:
PeterO said:
If you were only after the frequency, the graph shows the Period (time for a full cycle) is 0.4 seconds. That gives a frequency of 2.5 f = 1/T

Oh that makes so much sense! How simple! Thank you so much for breaking all of this down. So in a way I can look at this like two separate graphs/break it into components? And I guess the maximum values make more sense than using zero for other questions relating to this.

Thanks a bunch!

1. What is a voltage, current, and time graph with sine wave?

A voltage, current, and time graph with sine wave is a visual representation of the relationship between voltage, current, and time in an electrical circuit. The graph shows the amplitude and frequency of the sine wave, which represents the alternating current (AC) flow in the circuit.

2. What does the peak of the sine wave represent on the graph?

The peak of the sine wave on the graph represents the maximum value of either voltage or current in the circuit. This is the highest point on the wave and indicates the strength of the electrical signal at that moment in time.

3. How does the frequency of the sine wave affect the graph?

The frequency of the sine wave affects the graph by determining the number of cycles per second. A higher frequency means more cycles per second, which results in a shorter wavelength and a higher number of peaks on the graph. This also means that the current is alternating at a faster rate.

4. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and time on the graph?

The relationship between voltage, current, and time on the graph is that as voltage increases, current also increases. This is because voltage is the driving force that causes the flow of current in a circuit. Time is also a factor in this relationship as it shows the duration of the voltage and current fluctuations.

5. How is the voltage, current, and time graph with sine wave used in practical applications?

The voltage, current, and time graph with sine wave is used in practical applications to analyze and troubleshoot electrical circuits. By looking at the graph, scientists and engineers can determine the behavior of the circuit and identify any abnormalities or issues. It is also used to design and optimize electronic devices and systems, such as audio equipment and power systems.