What is the derivative of a vector?

In summary, to find the first and second derivative of a vector A=(5, 6t, 7t^2), you only need to find the derivative of the components, which results in A'=(0, 6, 14t). You do not need to add the unit vectors, but an alternative way is to write 0i + 6j + 14t k. This derivative seems to be correct.
zanazzi78
I`ve been asked to find the first and second time , t , derivative of a Vector A=(5, 6t, 7t^2)

Ok, now my prof hasn`t given any examples and i don`t have a text bok with these in so i need to ask for a bit of advise.

I`ve been told that all i need to do is find the derivative of the components!

So i`m thinking that;

A` = (0, 6, 14t)

Is this correct?

[edit] OOPs i forgot about the unit vectors, therefore A` = (0, 6j, 14t k)
where the unit vectors i, j, k are the magnitued of the vector along the x, y, z axis[/edit]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to add the unit vectors if you write it in components like (0,6,14t).
An alternative way is writing [itex]0{\bf{\hat i}} + 6{\bf{\hat j}} + 14t{\bf{\hat k}}[/itex]

The derivative seems correct :smile:

1. What is the first derivative of a vector?

The first derivative of a vector is a vector that represents the rate of change of the original vector at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in input approaches 0.

2. How is the first derivative of a vector calculated?

The first derivative of a vector is calculated using the same principles as the derivative of a scalar function. It involves taking the limit of the difference quotient, where the change in input approaches 0, and dividing the change in output by the change in input.

3. What does the first derivative of a vector tell us?

The first derivative of a vector tells us the direction and magnitude of the instantaneous rate of change of the vector at a specific point. In other words, it shows us how the vector is changing at that point.

4. Can the first derivative of a vector be negative?

Yes, the first derivative of a vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is decreasing in magnitude at that point. A positive first derivative indicates an increasing magnitude, and a zero first derivative indicates a constant magnitude.

5. How is the first derivative of a vector used in real-world applications?

The first derivative of a vector is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. It can also be used in economics and finance to study the rate of change of variables such as stock prices or interest rates. Additionally, it is used in computer graphics to calculate the slope and curvature of curves and surfaces.