Find a unit vector for a particular vector

In summary, a unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is often used to indicate direction. To find a unit vector for a given vector, you must first find the magnitude of the vector and then divide each component by the magnitude. The purpose of finding a unit vector is to simplify calculations and represent the direction of a vector without its magnitude. Any vector can have a unit vector, except for a zero vector. A unit vector is typically represented using a hat symbol (^) above the vector's variable symbol.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Find two unit vectors in 2-space that make an angle of 45(deg) with 7i + 6j.

Homework Equations

Unit Vector = u = (1/||v||)*v

Dot Product = u . v = ||u|| ||v|| cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been thinking about a way to do this. I originally thought that unit vectors could only be in the direction of the vector specified, because direction was the only thing that mattered.

I was thinking, if I found the unit vector of 7i + 6j, and then I multiplied that by cos(45), and sin(45), it would give me two solutions of unit vectors 45 degrees from the direction of 7i + 6j.

I'm not sure if this thinking is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

Find two unit vectors in 2-space that make an angle of 45(deg) with 7i + 6j.

Homework Equations

Unit Vector = u = (1/||v||)*v

Dot Product = u . v = ||u|| ||v|| cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been thinking about a way to do this. I originally thought that unit vectors could only be in the direction of the vector specified, because direction was the only thing that mattered.

I was thinking, if I found the unit vector of 7i + 6j, and then I multiplied that by cos(45), and sin(45), it would give me two solutions of unit vectors 45 degrees from the direction of 7i + 6j.

I'm not sure if this thinking is correct.

Hint: First find two vectors perpendicular to 7i+6j. What direction do you get if you add two equal length perpendicular vectors?

LCKurtz said:
Hint: First find two vectors perpendicular to 7i+6j. What direction do you get if you add two equal length perpendicular vectors?

Ahhh, okay I was thinking you would find the unit vectors first for some reason.

So, we are just finding 2 vectors directed at 45 degrees from the original vector, and then finding the unit vectors along those directions.

Thank you.

LCKurtz said:

Sorry to bring this question back up, but I just wanted to confirm my answer, as my math question online program I think might be reading my answer wrong.

##\vec{v} = 7 \hat{i} + 6\hat{j}##

Let a vector 45 degrees from ##\vec{v}## be equal to ## \vec{w} = a\hat{i} + b\hat{j}##.

##cos(\theta) = \frac {\vec{v} \bullet \vec{w}} {||v|| ||w||}##

## \frac {\sqrt{2}} {2} = \frac {\langle 7, 6 \rangle \bullet \langle a, b \rangle} {\sqrt{85} \sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}} ##

## \frac {\sqrt{2}} {2} = \frac {7a + 6b} {\sqrt{85} \sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}} ##

## \sqrt{2} \sqrt{85} \sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}} = 2(7a + 6b) ##

## (\sqrt{2} \sqrt{85} \sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}})^{2} = (2(7a + 6b))^{2} ##

## (170)(a^{2} + b^{2}) = 4(7a + 6b)^{2} ##

Let a = 1.

## (170)(1 + b^{2}) = 4(7 + 6b)^{2} ##
## 170 + 170b^{2} = 4(49 + 84b + 36b^{2})##
## 170 + 170b^{2} = 196 + 336b + 144b^{2}##
## 26b^{2} - 336b - 26 = 0 ##

Quadratic equation gives:

## b = \frac {84 ± 85} {13} ##
## b = 13, b = - \frac {1} {13} ##

Therefore, the two vectors that are 45 degrees from v, are:

## w_1 = \langle 1, 13 \rangle ##
## w_2 = \langle 1, -\frac {1} {13} \rangle ##

The unit vectors are then:

## u_1 = \frac {\langle 1, 13 \rangle} {\sqrt{170}} ##
## u_2 = \frac {\langle 1, -\frac {1} {13} \rangle} {\sqrt{1 + \frac {1} {169}}} ##

Your answers are correct but I would expect your online software would expect you to simplify them, especially ##u_2##. You have certainly gone the long way around Robin Hood's barn to get it. Given the vector ##\langle 7,6\rangle##, isn't it obvious using the dot product that ##\langle -6,7\rangle## and its negative are perpendicular to it? Then you could have used my original hint. Still, you do have a solution and your answers are correct.

RyanTAsher said:
##\vec{v} = 7 \hat{i} + 6\hat{j}##

Let a vector 45 degrees from ##\vec{v}## be equal to ## \vec{w} = a\hat{i} + b\hat{j}##.

@LCKurtz ingenious suggestion was to find a vector that is of equal length and perpendicular to the original one, and then add the two vectors. The resultant vector halves the angle between ##\vec a## and ##\vec b##. See figure.
You get the blue vector if rotating ##\vec a = 7\vec i + 6 \vec j ## by 90°. ##\vec b = -6\vec i + 7 \vec j##. Adding them: ##\vec a + \vec b = 1\vec i + 13 \vec j##. Now you have to divide it by the norm. Do the same with the other perpendicular vector, negative of ##\vec b ##.

grade45.jpg

LCKurtz said:
Your answers are correct but I would expect your online software would expect you to simplify them, especially ##u_2##. You have certainly gone the long way around Robin Hood's barn to get it. Given the vector ##\langle 7,6\rangle##, isn't it obvious using the dot product that ##\langle -6,7\rangle## and its negative are perpendicular to it? Then you could have used my original hint. Still, you do have a solution and your answers are correct.

ehild said:
@LCKurtz ingenious suggestion was to find a vector that is of equal length and perpendicular to the original one, and then add the two vectors. The resultant vector halves the angle between ##\vec a## and ##\vec b##. See figure.
You get the blue vector if rotating ##\vec a = 7\vec i + 6 \vec j ## by 90°. ##\vec b = -6\vec i + 7 \vec j##. Adding them: ##\vec a + \vec b = 1\vec i + 13 \vec j##. Now you have to divide it by the norm. Do the same with the other perpendicular vector, negative of ##\vec b ##.

View attachment 94341

Ohhhh, thank you for that picture. I understand now. I knew that the 45 degree vector would be half the 90 degree, but I wasn't too sure on how to get it there. Thank you for the picture.

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is often used to indicate direction. It helps to standardize the representation of a vector, making it easier to compare and manipulate different vectors.

2. How do you find a unit vector for a given vector?

To find a unit vector for a given vector, you must first find the magnitude of the vector. Then, divide each component of the vector by the magnitude. The resulting vector will have a magnitude of 1 and will be in the same direction as the original vector.

3. What is the purpose of finding a unit vector?

Finding a unit vector can help simplify calculations involving vectors, as it represents the direction of the vector without the influence of its magnitude. It is also useful in physics and engineering applications, where direction is often more important than magnitude.

4. Can any vector have a unit vector?

Yes, any vector can have a unit vector. However, a zero vector (a vector with all components equal to 0) does not have a unit vector, as division by 0 is undefined.

5. How is a unit vector represented?

A unit vector is typically represented using a hat symbol (^) above the vector's variable symbol, such as u^ for a unit vector of vector u. This notation indicates that the vector has a magnitude of 1.