Can surface tension affect the properties of silicon?

In summary, the person is asking for help finding the surface energy value at the interface between silicon and SiO2. They are given two options - performing ab initio calculations or looking at band bending at the interface. The conversation also mentions a study on the influence of nitrogen on surface stress in silicon and suggests checking the INTEL webpage for more information.
Mr. G
Hi all,
I wonder whether anybody could help me finding the surface energy value of the interface between silicon and SiO2...
Thanks in advance !

Mr. G

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. G said:
Hi all,
I wonder whether anybody could help me finding the surface energy value of the interface between silicon and SiO2...
Thanks in advance !
Mr. G

There are two ways. the most correct way is to execute ab initio calculations with software like Castep, Siesta, Abinit. These calculations will give you the required data

The second way is more general. Just look at the band bending at the Si/SiO2 interface. These energy charts are very well known and can be found anywhere on the net. Just do a little googling.

It all depends on what exactly you are looking for.

For example, i have an Italian friend at IMEC who is currently studying the influence on the surface stress of silicon when you incorporate Nitrogen. This system is used in transistor technology to boost up the electron mobility in the Si-substrate on a MOSFET.

Check out the INTEL webpage for more info in Si3N4 etc

marlon

, as a scientist, I can assure you that surface tension can indeed affect the properties of silicon. Surface tension is the force that acts on the surface of a liquid, causing it to minimize its surface area. In the case of silicon, which is a solid, surface tension can play a role in its surface properties through the formation of surface oxides. Silicon has a natural tendency to form a thin layer of silicon dioxide (SiO2) on its surface when exposed to oxygen. This layer can significantly impact the surface energy and properties of silicon.

To answer your question about the surface energy value of the interface between silicon and SiO2, it is important to note that this value can vary depending on the specific conditions and methods used to measure it. However, some studies have reported values ranging from 1.0-1.3 J/m^2 for the surface energy of silicon, and approximately 0.1 J/m^2 for the surface energy of SiO2. This difference in surface energy can affect the adhesion and interactions between silicon and SiO2, and ultimately impact the overall properties of the material.

I hope this information helps in your research. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. As scientists, it is our duty to support and collaborate with one another in the pursuit of knowledge and understanding. Best of luck in your studies!

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that is caused by the cohesive forces between molecules at the surface of the liquid. It is the force that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a stretched elastic membrane.

How is surface tension measured?

The most commonly used unit to measure surface tension is dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm). This unit represents the amount of force (in dynes) required to break a surface film of length 1 cm. Surface tension can also be measured using a tensiometer, which measures the force required to pull a probe out of the liquid surface.

What is the surface tension of silicon?

Silicon, being a solid, does not have a surface tension. However, liquid silicon (molten or in the form of a thin film) does exhibit surface tension. The surface tension of liquid silicon has been measured to be around 0.85 N/m at its melting point of 1414°C.

How does surface tension affect the behavior of silicon in microelectronics?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in the fabrication of microelectronics. It affects the wetting behavior of liquid silicon on different surfaces, which can impact the quality and uniformity of thin film deposition. It can also cause defects such as voids and bumps during the melting and solidification processes in microelectronic devices.

Can surface tension be manipulated in silicon-based materials?

Yes, surface tension can be manipulated in silicon-based materials through the addition of surfactants or controlling the surface energy of the substrate. This can help improve the wetting behavior and reduce defects during the manufacturing process of microelectronics.