Solving Integral Equation: \phi(s) from y(s)

In summary: The kernel,K(s,r) is singular at s=r. Thus, the first step is to transform it to a finite kernel via composition with \sqrt{\xi-r}. Once this is done, then the resulting equation can be further transformed to a Volterra equation of the second kind which then can be solved by Picard's process of successive approximations. I realize effecting the integrations likely becomes intractable but I'd still like to determine the solution format. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct approach to follow? I'll spend time with this approach and report here my progress.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm interested in studying the following equation, solving for [itex]\phi(s)[/itex] given [itex] y(s)[/itex]:

[tex]\int_0^s \frac{2r}{\sqrt{s^2-r^2}} \phi(r)dr=y(s)[/tex]

or in more standard form:

[tex]\int_0^s K(s,r)\phi(r)=y(s)[/tex]

This is how I think it should be approached:

The kernel,[itex]K(s,r)[/itex] is singular at [itex]s=r[/itex]. Thus, the first step is to transform it to a finite kernel via composition with [itex] \sqrt{\xi-r}[/itex]. Once this is done, then the resulting equation can be further transformed to a Volterra equation of the second kind which then can be solved by Picard's process of successive approximations. I realize effecting the integrations likely becomes intractable but I'd still like to determine the solution format.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct approach to follow? I'll spend time with this approach and report here my progress.

Thanks,
Salty

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhpas you can try converting the Volterra equation to a differential equation...

eljose said:
Perhpas you can try converting the Volterra equation to a differential equation...

Thanks eljose. I don't think you can remove the other variable under the integral sign by differentiating since both s and r are under the radical. Thus, you can't convert it to a differential equation. Am I wrong?

Also, I've found that the kernel needs to be bounded to use the method above. The kernel stated above,[itex]\frac{2t}{\sqrt{x+t}}[/itex] is not bounded.

I'll take my own advice: when confronted with a difficult problem you can't solve (which I can't cus I ain't proud), put it up and work on simpler ones first. In that regard, I'll work on several examples of the generalized Abel equation:

[tex]\int_0^x{\frac{\phi(y)}{\sqrt{x-y}}dy=f(x)[/tex]

The solution technique still involves a composition (convolution) and I know how to solve it and will report here some test cases for different values of [itex]f(x)[/itex]. The method is quite elegant and perhaps others will think so too.

By chance, if any students or others are wondering why should integral equations be studied, there is a profound reason why: it's all in the history. Do you see why?

Last edited:
I've asked that this thread be deleted. I really bit of more than I could chew and have "regrouped" in the form of a simpler equation that I've posted as "abel equation".

Salty

1) What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is an equation that involves an unknown function within an integral sign, rather than a simple variable. It is often used to represent relationships between a function and its derivatives or integrals.

2) Why is it important to solve integral equations?

Solving integral equations allows us to find the unknown function in a relationship, which can then be used to make predictions or solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3) What is the process for solving integral equations?

The process for solving integral equations involves identifying the type of integral equation, using appropriate techniques such as substitution or differentiation, and then solving for the unknown function.

4) What are some common techniques used to solve integral equations?

Some common techniques used to solve integral equations include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. Other techniques such as Green's functions and perturbation methods may also be used for more complex equations.

5) What are some applications of solving integral equations?

Solving integral equations has many practical applications, including in physics for solving differential equations, in economics for modeling supply and demand, and in signal processing for analyzing and synthesizing signals. It is also used in optimization problems and in solving problems involving electromagnetic fields.