How Do You Prove Matrices Like AA^T and A+A^T Are Symmetric?

In summary, to prove that a matrix is symmetric, you need to show that it is equal to its transpose. There are multiple methods to show symmetry, including checking for equality with the transpose, the negative of the matrix, or along both the main and secondary diagonals. This concept still applies to matrices with complex numbers, but the complex conjugate must be considered. You only need to check the elements above or below the main diagonal, as the elements on the main diagonal will always be equal to themselves. Knowing that a matrix is symmetric can also simplify calculations by only needing to perform calculations for half of the elements and using the symmetry property to fill in the remaining elements.
FlyingDonkey
I'm having trouble understanding a certain matrix problem.

-Show that AA^T and A^TA are symmetric.
-Show that A+A^T is symmetric.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Showing A+AT is symmetric should be trivial... write out A as an nxn matrix (it needs to be square for addition to be defined!) with entries [tex]a_{i,j}[/tex], and you should be able to calculate directly the i,jth entry of A+AT

Symmetric means A^T=A. And you know that (A+B)^T=A^T+B^T and (AB)^T=(B^T)(A^T), yes?

1. How do I prove that a matrix is symmetric?

To prove that a matrix is symmetric, you need to show that it is equal to its transpose. This means that the elements in the matrix are mirrored along the main diagonal. You can check this by comparing the values of the original matrix with the transposed matrix.

2. Can I use any method to show symmetry of a matrix?

Yes, there are multiple methods to show symmetry of a matrix. Some common methods include checking for equality of the matrix with its transpose, checking if the matrix is equal to its negative, and checking if the matrix is symmetric along both the main diagonal and secondary diagonal.

3. What if my matrix has complex numbers?

The concept of symmetry still applies to matrices with complex numbers. You can use the same methods to check for symmetry, but you will need to consider the complex conjugate when checking for equality. This means that for a complex number a + bi, the conjugate would be a - bi.

4. Do I need to check all elements of the matrix?

No, you do not need to check all elements of the matrix. Since a symmetric matrix is equal to its transpose, you only need to check the elements above or below the main diagonal. This is because the elements on the main diagonal will always be equal to themselves.

5. How can I use symmetry to simplify calculations?

If you know that a matrix is symmetric, you can take advantage of this property to simplify calculations. For example, when multiplying a symmetric matrix with itself, you only need to perform the calculation for half of the elements and then use the symmetry property to fill in the remaining elements. This can save time and effort in complex calculations.