Force distribution on a K-Truss

In summary, John Hopkins has a Bridge Designer page which can give you the information you need to build a bridge with a K truss.
OpenLaszlo
Im working on a design for a physics project where I have to build a bridge to span a length of about 50 cm. I've looked at some different truss designs and I've decided that I want to do a K truss- I've read that it distributes force more evenly when loaded from the center (which is where mine will be loaded from), however, I haven't been able to find any type of force diagrams detailing exactly which members will be undergoing compression or tension. Does anyone know of any software or diagrams which can show me where the force distribution on the bridge would be if loaded from the top center?

By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Johns Hopkins has a Bridge Designer page (sorry, don't know the URL) that will give you exactly what you need.

You could always do a drawing of the truss with the desired dimensions and the location of the load, and do the calculations yourself. If not, there are applicatiosn such as Risas which can help you calculate it.

I'm not sure what you are building the bridge out of but you should check out www.twigjig.com.

The site has jigs that you use to make trusses out of toothpicks. You are able to make several different truss patterns. Very cool stuff

heyy dude good goin with the selection for K-Truss since if u consider a SSB(Simply Supported Beam) for the bridge span Because at mid-span there occurs maximum bending moment. if considered W is the weight acting at mid span so B-M is (WL/4) where L is ur Span of the bridge which is 50 cm so selecting a K-truss helps you to offer more resistance at mid-span so as making your bridge sustainable and increasing ur load carrying capacity.
Any more Query send me ur Questions to raul_o_conner@yahoo.com

What is a K-Truss?

A K-Truss is a type of truss structure that is commonly used in engineering and construction. It consists of a series of interconnected triangles that distribute force and weight evenly throughout the structure.

How does force distribution work on a K-Truss?

The interconnected triangles on a K-Truss are designed to evenly distribute the force placed on the structure. This means that the weight and force from any direction is spread out across the entire truss, rather than being concentrated in one area.

What are the benefits of using a K-Truss for force distribution?

K-Trusses are known for their strength and stability. The evenly distributed force on the structure helps to prevent any one part from becoming overloaded, reducing the risk of collapse. Additionally, the lightweight design of a K-Truss makes it a popular choice for construction projects.

What factors affect force distribution on a K-Truss?

The design and materials used in a K-Truss can greatly impact its ability to distribute force. Factors such as the angle and length of the truss members, as well as the type and quality of materials used, can all affect the overall force distribution on the structure.

How is force distribution on a K-Truss calculated?

Engineers and designers use complex mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate the force distribution on a K-Truss. These calculations take into account various factors such as the weight and force of the structure, the angle and length of truss members, and the type of materials used.