Searching for Missing Fingers: A Cautionary Tale

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of missing fingers, particularly in relation to dangerous equipment and contaminated food. It also touched on the concept of allowable limits for various contaminants in food products. The conversation also mentioned a specific incident involving a lobe pump and the dangers of sticking fingers into machinery. Overall, the conversation highlighted the risks and consequences of not being careful around potentially dangerous objects.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
One job i hate is looking for missing fingers, this is the third time, normally we try to find the missing bit in case it can be sewn back on, no luck this time i think the pump chewed it to nothing, it is crazy how people want to stick their fingers in dangerous equipment despite the numerous waning signs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not fun at all. Though, considering every time I usually hear Brits refer to "bits" it's a very different part of the anatomy, I suppose a finger isn't the WORST part to lose. :uhh:

wolram said:
One job i hate is looking for missing fingers, this is the third time, normally we try to find the missing bit in case it can be sewn back on, no luck this time i think the pump chewed it to nothing, it is crazy how people want to stick their fingers in dangerous equipment despite the numerous waning signs.

Wow. What type of machine?...if you don't mind sharing.

Um, hold on a minute. Is there an allowable amount of fingers in snack cakes? :uhh:

Moonie, if you like Fig Newtons, don't even consider looking at the allowable % of insect parts in fig products. Just pretend it's really low and it's a microscopic protein enhancement.

turbo-1 said:
Moonie, if you like Fig Newtons, don't even consider looking at the allowable % of insect parts in fig products. Just pretend it's really low and it's a microscopic protein enhancement.

I know about insect parts, which is why I was wondering if there were allowable limits of fingers. It seems they have allowable limits of everything.

Moonbear said:
I know about insect parts, which is why I was wondering if there were allowable limits of fingers. It seems they have allowable limits of everything.
Oh, yeah! There are allowable % of rat feces and every other damned thing. One of the common things to find in string beans in school lunches when I was a kid is grasshoppers in green beans. For some reason, Green Giant and others managed to sort those out, but the cut-rate outfits supplying the school lunch program didn't bother. When a kid hauled a 'hopper out of his lunch, some kids would ditch the beans. I'd just keep eating them, and keep a closer eye out for hoppers. I had canned vegetables with my mother from a young age, and I knew that sterilization (not by that name) was my friend.

Holocene said:
Wow. What type of machine?...if you don't mind sharing.

It was a lobe pump, people seem to want to disconnect the pipes and stick their fingers inside to find out if it is working, luckily they can only get so far and they just loose an inch or so.

Strange thing is there is never much blood, i imagined it would pour from such a wound.

Moonb, a pump is sure not the place to put ones wedding tackle.

HINT: Ladyfingers, finger sandwiches. :uhh:

wolram said:
It was a lobe pump, people seem to want to disconnect the pipes and stick their fingers inside to find out if it is working, luckily they can only get so far and they just loose an inch or so.

Strange thing is there is never much blood, i imagined it would pour from such a wound.

Woah! Lobe pumps are high torque rascals capable of pumping some high-density materials (including bits) against some very high heads. I imagine that today some sweet-addicts are enjoying their fondant-dressed pasties with "parts". Parts is parts.

wolram said:
With a wound that severe, usually there's first vasoconstriction from the damage, so not much bleeding, then a little while later (not usually that long), the faucet turns on. Though, the fingers only have a couple small arteries off on each side, so you can compress it reasonably well to stop any bleeding.

:biggrin: Wedding tackle, I like that term. Sounds like you're out fishing, which might be a good term. :rofl:

Evo said:
HINT: Ladyfingers, finger sandwiches. :uhh:

:rofl: :uhh: :yuck:

Wow, interesting topic...

Look on the bright side Wolram. At least it's not your fingers you're looking for!

turbo-1 said:
Oh, yeah! There are allowable % of rat feces and every other damned thing. One of the common things to find in string beans in school lunches when I was a kid is grasshoppers in green beans. For some reason, Green Giant and others managed to sort those out, but the cut-rate outfits supplying the school lunch program didn't bother. When a kid hauled a 'hopper out of his lunch, some kids would ditch the beans. I'd just keep eating them, and keep a closer eye out for hoppers. I had canned vegetables with my mother from a young age, and I knew that sterilization (not by that name) was my friend.

I don't know if it'll sound strange or not, but I think I'd rather find a whole grasshopper than grasshopper parts. I mean, it's relatively easy to pick up a whole grasshopper and remove it to avoid eating it, but some finely ground, stray grasshopper parts, you'd never even know they were there.

None of my body parts has gone missing except for my tonsils and appendix which got swiped. When I was 20, I did rip open a finger with the tip dangling off the first joint. still connected by meat, skin, nerves and such. The surgeon snapped it back on and sewed it up. It didn't bleed much.

Moonbear said:
With a wound that severe, usually there's first vasoconstriction from the damage, so not much bleeding, then a little while later (not usually that long), the faucet turns on. Though, the fingers only have a couple small arteries off on each side, so you can compress it reasonably well to stop any bleeding.

So delayed blood explosions are real?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-TPN0e7Bsw&feature=related

Awesome game, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is it important to search for missing fingers?

Searching for missing fingers is important for several reasons. Firstly, it can help identify potential injuries or medical conditions that may have caused the fingers to go missing. Additionally, locating the missing fingers can aid in reconstructive surgery or prosthetic fitting. It can also provide closure for the individual and their loved ones.

2. How common is it for people to lose fingers?

The frequency of finger loss varies depending on the population and location. In the United States, it is estimated that around 30,000 people lose fingers or parts of fingers each year. This number may be higher in occupations or activities that carry a higher risk of finger injuries, such as construction work or sports.

3. What are some common causes of finger loss?

Finger loss can be caused by a variety of factors, including accidents, injuries, medical conditions, and birth defects. Some common causes include workplace accidents, car accidents, machinery mishaps, frostbite, diabetes, and cancer.

4. Can missing fingers be successfully reattached?

In some cases, missing fingers can be reattached through a surgical procedure called replantation. However, the success rate of this procedure depends on several factors, such as the severity of the injury, the condition of the amputated finger, and the time elapsed since the injury occurred. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if a finger is lost.

5. What precautions can be taken to prevent finger loss?

Preventing finger loss can involve taking precautions in various situations. For example, wearing protective gear when handling machinery or participating in high-risk activities can help reduce the chances of finger injuries. Proper safety training and following safety protocols in the workplace can also help prevent accidents that may result in finger loss.