Advanced study of trigonometry

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of advanced study in trigonometry. The speaker is considering obtaining a degree in mathematics and is currently focusing on mastering the basics of trigonometry. They mention that trigonometry does not seem to be included in any undergraduate mathematics courses, but inquire if it appears again in higher level math. The other person advises them to take calculus and clarifies that trigonometry is not much more advanced than what is learned in precalculus. They also mention the practical use of trigonometric functions and suggest looking into college-level trigonometry courses. The speaker explains that the mention of "cactus" was a typo and they use voice recognition to type.
dmehling
I was just wondering if anyone could suggest information about the advanced study of trigonometry. I am contemplating getting a degree in mathematics, and I'm currently trying to master the basics of trigonometry in preparation for taking cactus. In looking at all the courses I'll be taking for an undergraduate degree in mathematics, I don't see any mention of trigonometry. Is that something that shows up again in higher mathematics, or is what I have learned in precalculus about all there is to trigonometry?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, I hope you are planning on taking "Calculus". If you really are planning on taking "cactus", remember to wear heavy gloves!

Trigonometry itself really does not include a great deal more than you learn in precalculus. I suspect that the sine law and cosine law, for solving general triangles are about as "advanced" as trigonometry gets. However, the trigonometric functions, especially sine and cosine, are heavily used- not so much to solve problems dealing with triangles, but because they are the simplest periodic functions.

Thanks for the information. Yes I definitely will be taking calculus. I had no idea I said cactus. I use voice recognition to type so sometimes I end up with errors like that.

Keep looking. You should find that the first three and least advanced college level Math courses are Trigonometry, College Algebra, and PreCalculus(also called Elementary Functions; also called College Algebra And Trigonometry). The Trigonometry course from college, if it was not in high school, may be a bit more thorough than what you were used to. You might think of this as more advanced. In the college course, you will study vectors and an exponential form of expressing functions and vectors, something which is more thoroughly developed in your Calculus 2 course which you would take LATER.

1. What is the purpose of advanced study of trigonometry?

The purpose of advanced study of trigonometry is to deepen one's understanding of the relationships between angles and sides of a triangle and to apply these concepts to more complex problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are the key concepts covered in advanced trigonometry?

Some key concepts covered in advanced trigonometry include the unit circle, trigonometric identities, inverse trigonometric functions, and applications of trigonometry in calculus and physics.

3. How does advanced trigonometry differ from basic trigonometry?

Advanced trigonometry goes beyond the basic concepts of trigonometry, such as the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, to explore more complex relationships between angles and sides of a triangle. It also involves more advanced mathematical techniques and applications.

4. What are some real-world applications of advanced trigonometry?

Advanced trigonometry has a wide range of real-world applications, including navigation, surveying, astronomy, and engineering. It is also used in fields such as physics, architecture, and computer graphics.

5. How can advanced trigonometry benefit students in other fields of study?

The skills and concepts learned in advanced trigonometry, such as problem-solving and critical thinking, can be applied to other fields of study. It can also provide a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics, science, and engineering.