Electron Energy Levels in Nanowire | Approximation & Quantum #s

In summary, we are approximating an electron moving in a nanowire as a one-dimensional infinite square-well potential. The wire is 2 um long and cooled to a temperature of 13K. The electron's average kinetic energy is assumed to be that of a gas molecule at this temperature. The three lowest possible energy levels of the electrons are calculated using the equation E_n = n^2 * (pi^2 * (hbar*c)^2 / (2*m*c^2*L^2)). The approximate quantum number of the electrons moving in the wire is found to be 2. However, there seems to be a mistake in the book as it states the second energy level is only 2 times the energy of the
Pengwuino
Gold Member
The question is:

We can approximate an electron moving in a nanowire as a one-dimensional infinite square-well potential. Let the wire be 2 um long. The nanowire is cooled to a temperature of 13K, and we assume the electron’s average kinetic energy is that of a gas molecule at this temperature ( = 3/2 kT). (a) What are the three lowest possible energy levels of the electrons? (b) What is the approximate quantum number of the electrons moving in the wire?

So I have the equation to find the energy in an infinite well…

[tex] \[
\begin{array}{l}
E_n = n^2 \frac{{\pi ^2 (\hbar c)^2 }}{{2mc^2 L^2 }} \\
L = 2*10^3 nm \\
m = 5.11*10^5 eV \\
\hbar c = 197.33eV*nm \\
\end{array}
\][/tex]

Using this, I find n=1 to equal 9.40*10^-8 eV

The book says I am good there.

The problem is when I have to find the second energy level. I figured you use n=2 which means its just 2^2 or 4 times the energy but the book says its just 2 times the energy of the first energy level. What am I not understanding here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure the book made a mistake. For n=2, E2 = 4*E1 = 3.8 X 10^-7. I double checked with cramster, and that's how it was done there also.

1. What is a nanowire and how does it relate to electron energy levels?

A nanowire is a type of nanostructure that is typically made from a semiconductor material and has a very small diameter of less than 100 nanometers. The size of nanowires makes them ideal for studying the behavior of electrons at the nanoscale, including their energy levels.

2. What is the approximation method used to calculate electron energy levels in nanowires?

The most commonly used approximation method for calculating electron energy levels in nanowires is the effective mass approximation. This method simplifies the calculation by treating the electrons as particles with a constant effective mass, rather than accounting for their actual motion and interactions within the nanowire.

3. How do quantum numbers play a role in understanding electron energy levels in nanowires?

Quantum numbers are used to describe the energy levels of electrons in an atom or molecule. In the case of nanowires, quantum numbers are used to describe the energy levels of electrons confined within the nanowire's dimensions. These quantum numbers help us understand the discrete energy levels that electrons can occupy in a nanowire.

4. Can electron energy levels in nanowires be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, electron energy levels in nanowires can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as changing the size and shape of the nanowire, applying an external electric or magnetic field, or doping the nanowire with impurities. This allows for the tuning of energy levels and can have applications in nanoelectronic devices.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding electron energy levels in nanowires?

Understanding electron energy levels in nanowires has various potential applications, including in the development of more efficient solar cells, transistors, and other nanoelectronic devices. It can also contribute to advancements in quantum computing and nanoscale sensors.