Physics Major Looking for Advice on Computer Engineering Grad School

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore at a small school in North Carolina majoring in Physics and double minoring in Computer Science and Math. They plan to graduate in four years and attend graduate school for a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering. They are seeking advice on course selection and whether they should take Physics E&M courses instead of Optics or Mechanics. They are also concerned about not taking enough EE courses and computer architecture classes. The speaker outlines the required courses for their majors and asks for suggestions on whether to take E&M II or Optics. They mention a computer organization class but are unsure about its content. They also explain their reason for not majoring in Computer Engineering at their current school.
mattst88
I'm a sophomore at a small school (1600 students) in North Carolina, and I'm majoring in Physics. I'm also double minoring in Computer Science and Math.

I'm doing this with the intention to graduate in four years and attend graduate school to work towards a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering.

I'll have 20+ hours of Computer Science, 20+ hours of Math including Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, three semesters of Calculus, and a class to be decided later.

What advice can you guys give me on course selection? Should I try to take Physics E&M classes where I have options instead of Optics, Mechanics, etc?

I'm just trying to get things figured out before my senior year rolls around.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a question,

The maths you just said are all the standard maths any physics major should take, as well as any engineer, or computer science major, don't they make you take any more than that?

Also as a physics major wouldn't you have to take physics E&M, Mechanics, Quantum physic, etc? Or are they giving you the choice?

I was a computer engineering major, now I'm a computer science and the highest physics we took were:
Mechanics, E&M, and quantum waves/particles.

If you want to get a master degree's in computer engineering why don't you just major in computer engineering then go to grad school for computer engineering?

The major disadvantage I see here is your not taking any EE courses, a big part of a computer engineering degree is Electrical Engineering.

Another disadvantage I see here is computer architecture classes, does your computer science major make you take Computer Architecture classes? If it doesn't then you should really take those.

In these classes you go over CORE Computer Engineering topics that you would def. need in grad school.

'

Last edited:
As far as math courses go:

Computer Science minor requires Calculus I and II;
Math minor requires Calculus I and II, Linear Algebra, and two Math electives;
Physics major requires Calculus I, II, and III, and Differential Equations.

The math courses I'll take are:
Calculus I, Calculus II, Calculus III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and a Math Elective (a Statistics course, Discrete Math, etc)

As far as required courses for Physics, one must take
200 Level Mechanics, Heat/Light/Sound, Electricity and Magnetism, Modern Physics
300 Level Classical Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Thermodynamics and Kinetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics

Aside from those, you must take two courses from the following list:
315 Scientific Instrumentation, Lab (evidently involves a lot of circuts and some logic design)
320 Optics, Lab
322 Mathematical Methods of Physics
383 Nuclear Physics
401 Theoretical Mechanics
402 E&M II

So should I take the E&M II course instead of Optics, for instance?

As far as computer architecture classes go, the only thing I see is "Computer Organization". Its description from the course catalogue:

An introduction to the assembly level machine organization and machine level
representation of data. Memory organization and architecture will be discussed.
Multiprocessing and alternative architectures will be explored. Two credits. (Odd Fall)

I'll have to ask my professor more about this class.

The reason I'm not majoring in Computer Engineering currently deals with my choice of school. I didn't want to go to a school where all my friends from high school would be going. By the way, I go to Lenoir-Rhyne College (http://www.lrc.edu/ )

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the differences between a physics major and a computer engineering major?

A physics major focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while a computer engineering major focuses on designing and developing computer systems and software. Physics majors may have a stronger background in mathematics and theoretical concepts, while computer engineering majors may have more hands-on experience with programming and hardware design.

2. How can a physics major prepare for graduate school in computer engineering?

It is important for a physics major to gain experience in computer programming and hardware design, as well as taking courses in computer science and engineering. Participating in internships or research projects related to computer engineering can also strengthen a physics major's application to graduate school.

3. Can a physics major be successful in a computer engineering graduate program?

Yes, a physics major can definitely be successful in a computer engineering graduate program. While a background in physics may be different from that of a typical computer engineering student, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from studying physics can be highly valuable in the field of computer engineering.

4. Are there any specific computer engineering specializations that may be a good fit for a physics major?

Many physics majors may find success in computer engineering specializations such as computational physics, quantum computing, or artificial intelligence. These areas often require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills that are developed through studying physics.

5. How can a physics major stand out in a computer engineering graduate program?

In addition to having a strong academic background, a physics major can stand out by showcasing their unique perspective and problem-solving abilities. They can also highlight any relevant projects or research they have completed, as well as any internships or work experience in the field of computer engineering. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and participating in extracurricular activities related to computer engineering can also help a physics major stand out in a graduate program.