What Must the Output of the Powerhouse Be to Power the Factory?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a powerhouse with a large DC generator that produces electricity for a factory 0.50 mile away. The energy is transmitted over two cables with a resistance of 0.25 Ohms/Mile each. The question asks for the output of the powerhouse in order to meet the factory's demand for 45kW at a voltage of 110V. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of resistances and power loss over the line.
CraZyBryaN
Hello. Hopefully someone here is able to answer this. I'm not sure if it's easy or hard, but it sure is frustrating... Here is the question...word for word, I would make a sad attempt at a picture, but it would probably be wrong. So...

"A powerhouse near a waterfall has a large DC generator that produces electricity for a factory 0.50 mile away. The energy is transmitted over two cables each with a resistance of 0.25 Ohms/Mile. Given that the factory requires 45kW at a voltage of 110V to run its equipment, what must be the output of the powerhouse"

We haven't talked a lot about resistances yet, so I think I'm probably making mistakes there...but yea. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For DC, power P = V * I, so I = P/V.

The total resistance over the line, R, is given by R = [itex]\rho[/itex] L, where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the resistance per unit length and L is the total length of the line.

Now what is the voltage drop and power loss over the line?

Hello there,

The first step in solving this problem is to understand the concept of power and how it relates to voltage, current, and resistance. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or consumed, and it is measured in watts (W). In an electric circuit, power is equal to the product of voltage (V) and current (I), or P=VI. We can also use Ohm's law (V=IR) to find the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

In this case, we know that the factory requires 45kW of power at a voltage of 110V. Using the formula P=VI, we can rearrange it to solve for current (I), which is equal to 45kW/110V = 409.09A.

Next, we need to take into account the resistance of the two cables that the electricity will travel through. We are given that each cable has a resistance of 0.25 Ohms/Mile, and the distance between the powerhouse and the factory is 0.50 mile. Therefore, the total resistance of the circuit is 0.25 Ohms/Mile x 0.50 mile = 0.125 Ohms.

Now, we can use Ohm's law (V=IR) again to solve for the output of the powerhouse. We know the voltage (110V) and the total resistance (0.125 Ohms), so we can rearrange the formula to solve for current (I). This gives us I=V/R = 110V/0.125 Ohms = 880A.

Finally, we can use the formula P=VI to find the output of the powerhouse. We know the current (880A) and the voltage (110V), so we can solve for power (P). This gives us P=VI = 110V x 880A = 96,800W or 96.8kW.

Therefore, the output of the powerhouse must be 96.8kW in order to provide 45kW of power to the factory 0.50 mile away, taking into account the resistance of the cables. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Good luck!

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path that allows electric current to flow through it. It is made up of various components, such as wires, batteries, resistors, and switches, that are connected together in a closed loop.

2. How does an electric circuit work?

An electric circuit works by using electrical energy to power devices and appliances. The flow of electric current is controlled by the components in the circuit, which can either allow or resist the flow of electrons.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating only one pathway for the electric current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, providing multiple pathways for the electric current to flow.

4. How do you calculate the resistance in a circuit?

The resistance in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) equals the ratio of voltage (V) to current (I). In other words, R = V/I. Resistance can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the resistor, and A is the cross-sectional area of the resistor.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits is the direction of the flow of electrical energy. In an AC circuit, the current changes direction periodically, while in a DC circuit, the current flows in one direction only. AC is used for long distance power transmission, while DC is more commonly used in electronic devices.