Does drinking hot tea cool you

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ranger Mike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool Hot
In summary: Ryan...the lemsip hot drink does have the antipyretic in it to reduce fever...although many people don't realize that it does...i know i didn't until i was researching this for this post...In summary, This conversation is about whether or not drinking hot tea will cool you down. It is noted that tea has caffeine which can open your arteries. However, the question is whether or not drinking hot tea can cool you down. There is some evidence that it can, but it is not a large effect.
Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
i did a search in the forum and no posts on this..
question- will drinking hot tea cool you down??
...it does have caffeine..if i remember correctly, caffeine opens your arteries ...it is a diuretic...
is there any emperical data or does anyone have any knowledge of lab experiments?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I know you're an engineer, but you know, we do have other forums here...

[moving to medical sciences]

thanks Russ..thats why you are a mentor!

Obviously a hot drink will raise your body temperature simply through the intake of fluids of a higher temperature than that of the body. The caffeine in tea is rather low dose however there may be some effect as both caffeine induces sweating and increases metabolic rate. This paper deals with some of the effects that caffeine has on exercise and outlines some modes of action. Personally I would be of the opinion that there will not be that much of an effect and the majority of the effect that does happen is simply due to drinking a hot drink will raise your temperature due to it's temperature.

Increases in perspiration and metabolism will be dealt with shortly like any alteration in homeostasis.

Ranger Mike said:
i did a search in the forum and no posts on this..
question- will drinking hot tea cool you down??
...it does have caffeine..if i remember correctly, caffeine opens your arteries ...it is a diuretic...
is there any emperical data or does anyone have any knowledge of lab experiments?

Although tea has a caffeine that opens up your arteries, how can you think that it can cool your body? How can a hot drink can cool your body?

Last edited by a moderator:
alenp
that is the question that I ask. Has there been any studies, or specific measurement to validate or dismiss this question?
is there any data to support or refute this question...i have no thoughts one way or the other..hence..my post..

AlenP said:
Although tea has a caffeine that opens up your arteries, how can you think that it can cool your body? How can a hot drink can cool your body?

It could be possible if the drink contained an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipyretic" . IIRC some Chinese herbal teas are used to treat fever because they do contain drugs of this nature though I would question whether or not this was an unsubstantiated alternative medicine claim. So it's not a bad question, there is some merit to it.

EDIT: Just remembered that the over-the-counter medicine Lemsip can be administered as a hot drink but also contains an antipyretic intended to reduce fever.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help...Ryan MB
good insight

1. Does drinking hot tea really cool you down?

Yes, drinking hot tea can actually cool you down. When you drink a hot beverage, your body responds by producing sweat. As the sweat evaporates, it cools your body down.

2. How does drinking hot tea cool you down?

Drinking hot tea increases your body's core temperature, causing you to sweat. As the sweat evaporates, it carries heat away from your body, cooling you down.

3. Is drinking hot tea more effective than drinking cold water to cool you down?

Yes, drinking hot tea is more effective than drinking cold water to cool you down. This is because the hot tea causes your body to produce sweat, which helps to cool you down through the process of evaporation.

4. Can drinking hot tea cool you down in hot weather?

Yes, drinking hot tea can cool you down in hot weather. While it may seem counterintuitive, drinking a hot beverage can actually help to regulate your body temperature and prevent overheating in hot weather.

5. How long does it take for drinking hot tea to cool you down?

The time it takes for drinking hot tea to cool you down can vary depending on factors such as the temperature of the tea, the temperature of the environment, and individual differences. However, in general, you may begin to feel cooler within a few minutes of drinking hot tea.