What causes pressure drops in pressure vessels

• Thread starter jakesee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the theory and calculation of pressure drops in an electric heater pressure vessel, as related to pipes and flanges according to ASME B16.10, B16.47, B36.10. The individual is not a mechanical engineer, but is trying to create an intuitive data input sequence. They are seeking information on why pressure drop is a design specification, what causes pressure drops, and whether it is a consideration for determining pipe schedules. The person also asks for links or explanations on the concepts behind pressure considerations.
jakesee
I am writing a software that involves calculation of pressure drops in a electric heater pressure vessel as in related to pipes and flanges as described in ASME B16.10, B16.47, B36.10.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but in order to create an intuitive data input sequence (and for my interests), I hope to understand why pressure drop limtation is a design specification, what causes the pressure drops and how to calculate it. And whether this pressure drop is a consideration for determination of pipe schedules.

Can anyone explain the theory or point me to the relevant links that shows in an easy to understand manner about the concepts behind the pressure considerations?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking about pressure drops in the medium a tank is holding?

Or are you asking about how a vessel changes in size with pressure variations? (Hoop stress)

Hi Jupiture6,

I am after the pressure drops in the process fluid a pressure vessel is holding as it gets heated up from the inlet to the outlet while in the heater vessel.

Hope I am clear on that. Thanks!

What are pressure drops in pressure vessels?

Pressure drops in pressure vessels refer to the decrease in pressure that occurs as a fluid flows through a vessel or pipeline. This can be caused by various factors such as friction, changes in direction, or obstructions in the flow.

What causes pressure drops in pressure vessels?

Pressure drops in pressure vessels can be caused by a variety of factors, including friction from the walls of the vessel, changes in flow direction, and obstructions such as valves or filters. These factors result in a decrease in the velocity of the fluid, leading to a decrease in pressure.

How do pressure drops affect the performance of pressure vessels?

Pressure drops can significantly impact the performance of pressure vessels. They can result in a decrease in flow rate and an increase in energy consumption, which can lead to decreased efficiency and increased operating costs. Excessive pressure drops may also cause damage to the vessel or its components.

What can be done to reduce pressure drops in pressure vessels?

There are several ways to reduce pressure drops in pressure vessels. One common method is to increase the diameter of the vessel or pipeline, which decreases the velocity of the fluid and reduces friction. Other methods include smoothing the interior walls of the vessel, minimizing changes in flow direction, and removing obstructions in the flow.

How can pressure drops be calculated or predicted in pressure vessels?

There are various methods for calculating or predicting pressure drops in pressure vessels, including empirical equations, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, and experimental testing. These methods take into account factors such as fluid properties, vessel geometry, and flow conditions to estimate pressure drops and optimize vessel design.