Solving a Tricky Fluid Mechanics Problem

In summary, the suction pump is inclined at an angle of 10° from the horizontal, and the operating envolope specifies that the pump cannot transport water if any gases are present in the suction pipe. Gases are released from the water when the pressure falls below 30% of atmospheric pressure. If the water is transported at a velocity of 1.8 m/s in the suction pipe, and assuming the water in the reservoir is at rest, determine the length of pipeline from the reservoir to the holding tank.
adzp
Hi.

i am trying to brush up on my fluid mechanics for when i do it next year at uni.

do any of you guys have any idea how to solve the follow question?

'A suction pump moves water from a reservoir to a holding tank. The system is designed in such a way that the suction pump is inclined at an angle of 10degres from the horizontal. The operating envolope specifies that the pump cannot transport water if any gases are present iun the suction pipe. Gases are released from the water when the pressure falls below 30% of atmospheric pressure. If tyhe water is transported at a velocity of 1.8m/s in the suction pipe, and assuming the water in resiviour is at rest, determine the length of pipeline from the reservoir to the holding take'

hope some one can help. this is a tricking one for me.

thanks
adzp

Physics news on Phys.org
In a real world application, this is more like a calculation of NPSHa in a pump system. This has to do with the pressure dropping below the liquid's vapor pressure.

In your case, the Bernoulli equation is what you are looking for. You know pretty much everything except the final elevation. Since you know that the pipe is at a 10° inlcline, you could calculate the delta Z and back out the line length from that.

FredGarvin said:
Since you know that the pipe is at a 10° inlcline, you could calculate the delta Z and back out the line length from that.

how would this be done? i have the forumula for bernoulli;s in front of me but can't really see how to use it for this question?

thanks

adzp

The two locations would be the reservoir and the end of the pipe at the tank you are transferring to.

V1 =0 (given in the problem statement)
V2 = 1.8 m/s
P1 = 14.7 psia (atmospheric pressure assuming the reservoir is open to atm)
P2 = .7*P1
Z1 = 0 (use as a referernce)
Z2 = CALCULATED VALUE

Give that a try. The rest will be basic trig.

what if the resivior is closed to atm?

would it then be a different figure?

so

would it be

0 + 14.7/w + 0squared/2g = Z2 + 10.29/w + 1.8squared/2g + loss of head

woudl this be it?

is 'w'

pg? therefore 1000 x 9.81?

adzp

1. What are the common types of tricky fluid mechanics problems?

Some common types of tricky fluid mechanics problems include boundary layer problems, multiphase flow problems, turbulent flow problems, and problems involving non-Newtonian fluids.

2. How can I approach solving a tricky fluid mechanics problem?

The best approach to solving a tricky fluid mechanics problem is to first understand the underlying physical principles and equations involved. Then, carefully analyze the problem and identify the relevant parameters and boundary conditions. From there, you can use mathematical techniques such as dimensional analysis, numerical methods, or experimental data to solve the problem.

3. What are some common challenges when solving tricky fluid mechanics problems?

Some common challenges when solving tricky fluid mechanics problems include complex geometry, non-uniform flow conditions, and nonlinear behavior of fluids. Additionally, numerical instabilities and the need for high computational power can also pose challenges.

4. Can computer simulations be used to solve tricky fluid mechanics problems?

Yes, computer simulations are often used to solve tricky fluid mechanics problems. These simulations use numerical methods to solve the equations governing fluid flow and can provide detailed visualizations of the flow behavior. However, the accuracy of the simulation results depends on the accuracy of the underlying equations and the input parameters.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving tricky fluid mechanics problems?

Solving tricky fluid mechanics problems has many practical applications, such as designing efficient aircraft wings, optimizing the performance of car engines, and developing more effective water treatment processes. Fluid mechanics is also crucial in the development of medical devices, such as ventilators and prosthetic heart valves.