Create a Basic Circuit: LED and Battery Setup Guide

• Thread starter Inspiron1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses how to build a simple circuit that lights up an LED when a wire is unplugged. A schematic is provided but it drains the battery, so a resistor is suggested to prevent this. The goal is for the LED to remain unlit, but light up when a wire is removed without draining the battery.
Inspiron1
Hello all. I am trying to build a very simple circuit and need some help.

I want to have an LED connected to a battery, and if a wire is unplugged from the circuit then the LED lights up.

Does anyone know how I can make this happen?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a picture of a schematic that gets the job done, but it drains the battery.

Ok, see the middle wire? While that middle wire is connected the led will not light up because the current will take the path of least resistance. So I would probably put a resistor in front of the LED.

But if you remove the wire the LED lights up.

So the LED should typically not be lit, but if I unplug a wire then the LED lights up.

That's all I need! But without draining the battery of course!

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 386

Hello there,

Creating a basic circuit with an LED and battery is a great way to start learning about electronics. To achieve your desired result, you will need a few components and follow these steps:

1. Gather your materials: You will need an LED, a battery, a resistor (optional), a breadboard, and some jumper wires.

2. Connect the LED to the breadboard: Place the LED on the breadboard with the longer leg (positive) in one row and the shorter leg (negative) in another row.

3. Connect the resistor (optional): If you are using a resistor, connect one end to the same row as the positive leg of the LED and the other end to a different row on the breadboard.

4. Connect the battery to the breadboard: Place the battery on the breadboard with the positive end in the same row as the positive leg of the LED and the negative end in a different row.

5. Connect the jumper wire: Take a jumper wire and connect it from the negative leg of the LED to the negative end of the battery.

6. Test the circuit: If everything is connected correctly, the LED should light up. If it doesn't, try checking your connections and make sure the battery has enough power.

7. Create the switch: To make the LED light up when a wire is unplugged, you can use a jumper wire as a switch. Connect one end of the jumper wire to the positive end of the battery and the other end to the same row as the positive leg of the LED.

8. Test the switch: When the jumper wire is plugged in, the circuit will be complete and the LED will light up. When the wire is unplugged, the circuit will be broken and the LED will turn off.

I hope this guide helps you create your basic circuit with an LED and battery. Remember to always be cautious when working with electricity and have fun experimenting with different components and designs. Good luck!

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed path or loop through which electric current can flow. It typically consists of a power source, conductors, and a load, which is the component that uses the electrical energy.

What is a simple circuit?

A simple circuit is a circuit that has a single path for the flow of electric current. It usually contains a power source, a switch, and a load, such as a light bulb or motor.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after another, so that the current flows through each one in turn. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected side by side, so that the current has multiple paths to flow through. This results in different levels of resistance and voltage drop in the two types of circuits.

What is Ohm's law and how does it apply to circuits?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This means that if the voltage increases, the current will also increase, and vice versa. In circuits, this law helps determine the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

Why is it important to use safety precautions when working with circuits?

Circuits involve the flow of electricity, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. Safety precautions such as wearing gloves and safety glasses, working with low voltage when possible, and turning off power before making any changes are important to prevent electric shocks and other accidents.