Trajectory of projectile with friction in air

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of the path of a projectile when considering air friction. The equations used include F=-bv, where v is a vector, and m\ddot{x} = - R \cos(\theta) and m\ddot{y} = - R \sin(\theta) - mg. The conversation also mentions resolving in the x- and y-directions, as well as using vectors in 3D.
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

This is not a homework prob, its just something I was trying out.

To find the equation of the path of the projectile when air friction is considered.

Homework Equations

F=-bv, where v is a vector.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the projectile be launched with a velocity [tex]v=v_{0x}i+ v_{0y}j+v_{0z}k[/tex];

Velocity after a time t is: [tex] v(t)=\frac{mv_{0x}}{m+bt}i + \frac{(v_{0y}-gt)m}{m+bt}j + \frac{mv_{0z}}{m+bt}k[/tex]. Integration of this expression wrt t, would give you the path of the projectile... right?

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know how you got your function but i know mass usually cancels out

if you treat friction as a constant force, independent of velocity and time, though I'm pretty friction force in a fluid is not independent of velocity, you just get the regular position function in each component with an acceleration because

[tex]a_x,z(t)=-k [/tex] and in the x direction you just get a bigger acceleration [tex] a_y(t)=-k+-g [/tex] k and g being both constants you would just get another constant acceleration, bigger.

Last edited:
I think at higher speeds it is proportional to the square of the speed.

andrevdh said:
I think at higher speeds it is proportional to the square of the speed.

im bad at this so i would like to test my grasp as well

[tex]

a_x(t)=k(\frac{dx}{dt})^2[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{d^2(x)}{dt^2}=k(\frac{dx}{dt})^2

[/tex]

?? would this be the correct equation for acceleration for the x component?
i will try solving the DE if this is correct

Last edited:
Err... ok, I took friction to be -bv (vector), so the acceleration in the x and z directions worked out to be [tex]\frac{-b}{m}v_z[/tex]. Since the velocity would change with time as:

[tex]v_z=v_{0z}-\frac{b}{m}v_zt[/tex], this would give [tex]v_z[/tex] to be:

[tex]\frac{mv_{0z}}{m+bt}[/tex], where the mass does cancel out dimensionally. Integration of this expression gives a logarithmic function... so, is this right?

The air resistance, [tex]R[/tex], opposes the velocity of the projectile.

The angle of attack, [tex]\theta[/tex], of the projectile changes in its trajectory.

By resolving in the x - and y directions we get that

[tex]m\ddot{x} = - R \cos(\theta)[/tex]

and

[tex]m\ddot{y} = - R \sin(\theta) - mg[/tex]

we can rewrite the sine and cosine terms as

[tex]\cos(\theta) = \frac{\dot{x}}{v}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sin(\theta) = \frac{\dot{y}}{v}[/tex]

leading to

[tex]\ddot{x} = -a\dot{x}v}[/tex]

and

[tex]\ddot{y} = -a\dot{y}v} - g[/tex]

An "easier" approach is to rather resolve along the tangential and normal directions to the trajectory - which leads to the equation of the hodograph.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's exactly what I've done... just used pure vectors in 3D instead of resolving the force...

I've burned myself once before with this 3D vector stuff, so I would rather keep to what I know - resolving the force components and setting up the equations of motion.

1. What is the effect of air friction on the trajectory of a projectile?

Air friction, also known as air resistance, causes a decrease in the speed and distance traveled of a projectile. This is because the air molecules exert a force in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile with air friction?

The angle of launch determines the direction and shape of the projectile's trajectory. When launched at an angle, the force of air friction acts in both the vertical and horizontal directions, resulting in a curved trajectory. The steeper the angle of launch, the more pronounced the curve will be.

3. Can the mass of the projectile affect its trajectory when air friction is present?

Yes, the mass of a projectile can have an impact on its trajectory when air friction is present. A heavier projectile will be less affected by air friction and will therefore travel farther than a lighter projectile launched at the same angle and initial velocity.

4. How does air density affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air density, or the number of air molecules in a given space, can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. Higher air density results in a greater amount of air resistance, causing the projectile to slow down more quickly and travel a shorter distance.

5. Is there a way to calculate the trajectory of a projectile with air friction?

Yes, there are mathematical equations and computer simulations that can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile with air friction. These take into account factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air density, and projectile mass to predict the path and landing point of the projectile.