Potential Well Problem: Finding Excited States and Wave Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle of mass m moving in a one-dimensional potential well. The general functional form of the 1st excited wave function phi_1(x) in the region 0<x<L/3 is determined to be A exp(-kx). The boundaries conditions are then used to determine k, and A is found by squaring phi. The 2nd excited state is found using the equation E=n*h*omega, where n=2.
noblegas

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in one dimension in the following potential well:

V(x)=infinity, x<0 , x>L/3
V(x)=0 , 0<x<L/3

a)Circle the general functional form of the 1st excited wave function phi_1(x) in the region 0<x<L/3. k is a positive constant; A is constant as well;

i) A sin(kx)
ii) A cos(kx)
iii) A exp(kx)
iv) A exp(-kx)

b) use the boundaries conditions to determine k
c)Find A
d)Find the 2nd excited state)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I figured out was iv)
b) Not sure what to do here but I will give it a try; A*exp(-k*L/3)-A*exp(-k*0)=0 and A*exp(k*infinty)-A*exp(-k*infinity)=infinity)
c) I would squared phi to get A; (A*exp(-kx))^2=0, x=0...L/3

d) E=n*h*omega, where n=2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
noblegas said:
a) I figured out was iv)

How did you find this?

George Jones said:
How did you find this?

For some reason I assumed that L/3 was approaching infinity;
I think phi =A*sin(kx) since sin(k*x=0)=0 and sin(k*L/3)= 0, assuming L is the value of a unit; This implies k=3pi,9pi,15pi,...

to find A, I would normilized phi, i.e., A^2*sin^2(3pi*x)=1, not sure what x would be

E=n*h*omega, n=2

Last edited:
Was the second approach I applied wrong as well?

What is a potential well problem?

A potential well problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that involves finding the wave functions and energy levels of particles that are confined to a potential well. This problem is useful for understanding the behavior of particles in a variety of systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid materials.

What are excited states?

Excited states are energy levels that are higher than the ground state of a system. In the context of a potential well problem, they refer to the energy levels of particles that are confined to the potential well and have absorbed energy to reach a higher energy level.

How do you find excited states in a potential well problem?

To find excited states in a potential well problem, you must solve the Schrödinger equation for the system. This equation describes the behavior of quantum particles and allows you to calculate the wave functions and energy levels of the particles in the potential well.

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It tells us the probability of finding the particle at a given position and time. In the context of a potential well problem, the wave function describes the behavior of the particle within the potential well.

Why is the potential well problem important?

The potential well problem is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in various systems, such as atoms and molecules. It also has applications in fields such as material science and nanotechnology, where the confinement of particles to potential wells is a common occurrence.