Point Charges and Electric Potential Energy with Work Done

In summary, the electric potential energy of the pair of charges increases when the second charge is moved from point a to point b, and the value of the change in electric potential energy (ΔU) is 1.9x10^-8 J.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

A point charge q1 is held stationary at the origin. A second charge q2 is placed at point a, and the electric potential energy of the pair of charges is + 5.4 x10^-8 J. When the second charge is moved to point b, the electric force on the charge does - 1.9x10^-8 J of work.

A) What is the electric potential energy of the pair of charges when the second charge is at point b?

Homework Equations

U = kq1q2/r
W = -ΔU

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a little difficulty understanding the concept of electric potential energy. This is what I think I understand.

A search on Google told me that U = 5.4x10^-8 J is the potential energy of the two charges, but the question seems to suggest to me that this value could be ΔU, how do I know it is not ΔU?

Also, would I be correct in saying that

W = -ΔU

therefore this would mean that:

-1.9x10^-8 J = -ΔU

As such the ΔU = 1.9x10^8 J

Additionally, because the work done is negative does this mean that q2 is being pushed away from q1 as there is work being done on q2 by q1?

Assuming my thought process has been somewhat accurate so far, would it then be reasonable to say that the electric potential energy has increased and that the electric potential energy of the charges when q2 is at point b would be:

5.4x10^-8J + 1.9x10^-8 J = 7.3x10^-8J

7.3x10^-8 J is the correct answer, but I want to know if my thought process is correct. I'm feeling a bit scatterbrained on this topic.

Any extra input would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question and for sharing your thought process. It seems like you are on the right track in understanding electric potential energy. Let me clarify a few points for you.

Firstly, the value of 5.4x10^-8 J is the electric potential energy of the pair of charges at point a, not the change in electric potential energy (ΔU). Remember that electric potential energy is a scalar quantity, so it does not have a direction. Therefore, it is not the same as work, which is a vector quantity and can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the force.

Secondly, you are correct in saying that the work done on q2 is negative because it is being pushed away from q1. This means that the electric potential energy of the pair of charges has increased, as you correctly calculated.

Lastly, I would like to clarify that the electric potential energy of the pair of charges at point b is not equal to the sum of the electric potential energies at points a and b. The electric potential energy at point b is simply the value of ΔU, which you correctly calculated to be 1.9x10^-8 J.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of electric potential energy. Keep up the good work!

1. What are point charges and how do they relate to electric potential energy?

Point charges are objects or particles that have electric charge concentrated at a single point. They can be positive or negative. Electric potential energy is the energy that a point charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. The closer the point charge is to other charges, the higher its potential energy will be.

2. How is work done related to electric potential energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the case of electric potential energy, work is done when a point charge moves from one point to another in an electric field. This movement causes a change in the potential energy of the charge.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy?

The formula for electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the object, and V is the electric potential at that point.

4. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This means that the point charge has less potential energy at that point compared to a reference point. This can happen when the charge is moved closer to an opposite charge, causing the electric potential to decrease.

5. How does the distance between point charges affect the electric potential energy?

The electric potential energy is directly proportional to the distance between point charges. This means that the closer the charges are, the higher the potential energy will be. As the distance between the charges increases, the potential energy decreases.