Ideal Gas Constant: Universal Constant or Relative?

In summary: As for whether or not R is a universal constant, I think it's a pretty safe bet that it is. I mean, it's called "the universal gas constant" for a reason!
bomba923
Is the Ideal Gas Constant a universal constant?
*If not, then what is it relative to?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by the Real Gas constant.
The ideal Gas constant R is universal
If you are referring to the vander waal equation that describes real gases and the constants a and b, then no, both a and b are not universal constants. You have to determine a and b experimentally and measure critical temperatures and critical pressures with respect to the compound in question.

universal constant, e.g. the speed of light c, where it supposedly holds true at all inertial frames of reference...everywhere.

I don't believe that R is a universal constant.

Why isn't R is a universal constant for an ideal gas? When does it ever change?

Last edited:
no I guess not, but before you go on to call it universal (as the speed of light is "universal) you might want to bring it up in one of the physics subforums

GCT said:
no I guess not, but before you go on to call it universal (as the speed of light is "universal) you might want to bring it up in one of the physics subforums

!Why--exactly? How what does bringing up it a different forum have to do with the Ideal Gas Constant being universal/"calling it universal"?? :bugeye:
------
But I agree, physics and engineering do often use the Ideal Gas Constant, and it easily could have been a question in one of the physics subforums :smile: . I posted this in chemistry because I worked with the Ideal Gas Constant most frequently in my chemistry courses.

GCT said:

To your knowledge

[tex] R=k_{B} N_{A} [/tex]

Boltzmann's constant is universal, Avogadro's number is universal, ergo the ideal gases' constant is universal.

Daniel.

Well there you go.

I have to say I'm a bit unfamiliar with so called "universal constants" I've just taken my second semester of physics. I just thought there would be more to the universal constant concept and I didn't think it to be appropriate to accept it simply as some vague notion.

I pose another question: Will we ever know why all of the "universal" constants are constant? Haha, just kidding around!

1. What is the Ideal Gas Constant?

The Ideal Gas Constant, denoted by the symbol R, is a physical constant that relates the properties of an ideal gas to each other. It is used in the Ideal Gas Law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas.

2. Is the Ideal Gas Constant a universal constant or a relative constant?

The Ideal Gas Constant is considered to be a universal constant, meaning that its value is the same for all gases in the ideal state. However, it is also a relative constant, as it can vary slightly depending on the units of measurement used for pressure, volume, and temperature.

3. What is the value of the Ideal Gas Constant?

The value of the Ideal Gas Constant depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. In SI units, it is approximately 8.314 J/mol•K. In other commonly used units, it can range from 0.0821 L•atm/mol•K to 1.987 cal/mol•K.

4. How is the Ideal Gas Constant used in scientific calculations?

The Ideal Gas Constant is used in the Ideal Gas Law, which is a fundamental equation in chemistry and physics. It is also used in various thermodynamic equations and calculations, such as the Van der Waals equation and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation.

5. Can the Ideal Gas Constant be derived from other physical constants?

No, the Ideal Gas Constant cannot be derived from other physical constants. It is a fundamental constant that is determined experimentally and is not dependent on any other physical quantities.